Colt or S&W snub ?

ATeaM

Hey, I'm about to reward myself with a purchase that is long over due, a .38 snub. So far I've narrowed it down to either a S&W 642 or a Colt Detective special.

Here's the deal, I'm not buying this as a range gun, rather, a "clip on the belt and carry anywhere" gun. I was pretty set on the 642. Other than it's price, the size and weight seems perfect. Then I saw this....

rev0089.jpg

rev0090.jpg

She's beautiful isn't she :) ?

Down sides: An extra six ounces, spurred hammer, less wear resistant finish.

Plus's: Beautiful, 6 shots as opposed to 5, better trigger (supposedly), better accuracy (supposedly). Did I say beautiful :D ?

I'm also really digging the fact that this particular Colt is made the year of my birth (1978). Kind of a one time only deal.

So, are the trade offs worth it ? I don't make the kind of money where I could afford both. Nor do I plan on having a safe full of snubbies. Should I go with my emotion and bid on the Colt or be more practical and shop for a Smith' ? Both are in the same price range so this is not a factor.

ATeaM, I have both the Colt DS and the S&W. I much perfer the Colt. I love the trigger action and ballance of the gun. It has the lockwork of the Python. The Colt is more accurate than I will ever be. Colt DS are not as common as the once were. Colt had to cease production of them in the later years because they became to expensive to manufacture. Many of the parts had to be hand fitted and it made them less profit margin then other type guns. If you get the Colt now, later, you can always get the S&W. But it may not always be the other way around.:)

A really nice Detective Special is a joy forever (unless you're dumb and trade it away like I did :( )

I would buy that Colt in an instant, take it home, put it in the safe and take it to the range and shoot it occasionally. Buy a Centential steel frame to carry.

Alternative.....SnW 2½" round butt model 19. Six shot .357. Small enough for a hideaway gun but enough heft to be a joy to shoot all day. Lots of choices in ammo performance and loudness. Deadly accurate. Comes with hammer spur but that is a quick fix.

Got mine in 98%+ for 250 out the door. Made in 80s.

Have put many thousands of rounds through 36s and 19s and they are definately durable.

If a carry gun, should shoot it a lot.....till you are VERY good with it. That colt looks like it belongs in a collectors safe to be shared with generations to come.

Sam

I'm going to be practical. Get the S&W. While you are getting one more round with the Colt, the Colt is also substantially larger. If you're buying it to carry, you're going to be much better off with the smaller and lighter gun. The problem with a carry gun that is too big is that you don't carry it.

PS. If you get the S&W, look into a Galco ankle glove holster for it. That is probably my favorite mode of carry.

Greeting's All,

For CCW purpose's I'd choose the S&W, also. I can't agree
that the Colt's trigger is better?:confused: I've had really
good success with my S&W model 60, .38 Special.:cool:
Colt's are known for timing problems, after shooting a few
thousand rounds; while S&W's can taking a licking and
keep on'a ticking.:eek:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

I think I'm going to have no choice but to go with the S&W :(.

California state law says.....:barf:

No out of state transfers on this one.

You can still get one in-state via private transfer. There's a dealer in San Mateo that specializes in consignment transfers of fine old guns. Or shop gun shows, dealers with consignment guns of all types are common.

But out-of-state deals are out, except for SAs with 3" or more barrels and 7.5" overall length, ruler parallel to the barrel.

branrot has it right.
I admit that I don't have a Colt revolver, however I do have several J-Frame Smiths including a 642. The lighter weight of the 642 means I will carry it when I wouldn't carry something heavier. The best gun in an emergency is the one you have with you.
I can't imagine that the trigger on the Colt could be better than the ones on my 642, 60 and 640. All of them have great triggers.
Jerry

Thanks for all the advice guys. Jim, I've tried the consignment route here in CA before, and it always ends up with me saying, "You want WHAT for that gun !!!" :eek:. Nowaday's that Colt DS would be worth it's weight in platinum. The good side of this story is I know I'll be plenty happy with the 642 :).

You'll love your 642...I have the 442..always wanted a DS and although both are snub noses, I always realized there is a big differerence...one is a bigger frame, larger cylinder and much heavier...a definite belt holster gun..the other can be thrown in a pocket...I think you'll find the smith to be much more enjoyable to lug around...

I got my wife a used 642 as a carry gun, and it's very light weight and comfortable to shoot with the rubber grip. I don't have any experience with Colts. That Colt in the pic looks very nice. An extra shot is nice, but I find that weight and size are big factors in a carry gun. Maybe get them both if you can :).

i've had both a smith m-60 and detective special and did not find the colt noticiabley harder to carry than the smith in a good holster.

the correct comparision should be between the 642 and a colt cobra/agent w/alloy frame

in either case i would choose the colt because of the better trigger/action,which leads to better accurracy

having said all that, i carry my 642 everywhere because i love the internal hammer and someone walked off with my cobra

Back