COLT OR ESSEX (HELP)

RON 1

Saw a 1911 today with colt slide barrel mag everything except it had a essex stainless frame btw the slide was some sort of commeritive partily gold engraved 1972 hartford conn. seemed to be very well fit and finished (nice) did colt and essex ever coop on a commeritive 1911?

More than likely, that was a parts gun.

I cannot imagine the home of the forged frame, Colt, collaborating with Essex, who casts their frames. That's not to say it is a bad frame. I made up two guns using Essex frames that turned out well.

Definitely a parts gun

I have used Essex frames and they seem OK. I have fired a .45 Essex/Colt combination around 1000 rounds with no problems, and I have a .22 Conversion kit on an Essex frame.

Of course, the combo you describe is a shooter, with no collector value, no matter what the slide is.

Jim

I saw a Colt NM slide/Essex frame gun at the Pistol Parlour yesterday. It was chambered for .38 Special. At first glance I thought I had read the tag wrong. I checked the slide and it was marked .38 Spl. The magazine was definitely built for .38 Spl cases. If I knew where I could get more of those magazines, I might buy that gun.

Blades67, try Clark Custom Guns for .38 Special 1911 magazines, they made a bunch of those .38 Special Wadcutter 1911's for Bullseye competition, and still do. This version of the 1911 was a competitor to the exceptional S&W Model 52 in .38 Special Wadcutter. Here's their URL for the .38 Special 1911 conversions:

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/bullcon.htm

Here's a couple of the bullseye guns:

clark78.jpg

If I didn't already own an early Model 52, I'd grab one of those 1911's in .38 Special, and someday, I still may...

Back