Colt Officer's Model Target 22

Howdy

Just picked up this 1935 vintage Officer's Model Target 22 two weeks ago. Took it to the range for the first time today. Looks like it is going to be giving my K-22s a run for their money.

Officers%20Model%20Target%2022%2001_zps6wuy5aug.jpg

Officers%20Model%20Target%2022%2002_zpsk7viyxzs.jpg

You did good

I have two 71/2" Colt Officer model target in .38 sp. Also two Colt Police Positive target 6" in .22 and .22 WRF.
All are tack drivers and Python smooth.

The early Colts ooze panache. I have a first year (for the 22) OMT wearing 1950s target stocks. Had it for about 25 years. Previous owner had used it for bullseye shooting for 20 years or more and lost track of many thousands of rounds he fires through it. Shows some finish wear but functions perfectly.

standard.jpg

Driftwood and Saxon. Thanks for posting all the information you post and the neat (really nice!) photos.

I have one from 1930 in 22 rf, first year they did the 22. It outshot any model 17 I owned.

Good find.

If your 22 is date 1930 that must be the first year. I have read 1930 and 1931 but never heard of one made in 1930 before now to confirm.

This OMT was made in 1909 and someone swapped on a heavy barrel that became available after 1935. The old ones like this had a lot of deluxe features. The trigger, cylinder release and back strap are finely checkered. Not grooved, checkered.

standard.jpg

This one was wade in 1949 and shows a lot of holster wear. Makes me wonder if it was carried by a cop. Well worth the $200 I paid for it. These were popular with police back in the day. I bet quite a few were loaded with 38/44 ammo.

standard.jpg

Shot DA at 50 feet and I can see why cops liked them.

standard.jpg

That was an old one. They went over to .32 NP/PP = .32 S&W Long in most guns before WWI.

I remember when a distributor got hold of a lot of .32 OMTs that had gone to a National Guard unit at the start of WWII. "Send us whatever you have, we're at WAR" What they got was Colt's entire inventory of Officer's Model Target .32s. Some were used for something, probably not shooting at Germans, but there were a good number still NIB after 40 years.

Back