Colt Officer's Model Match .38 Special

slickpuppy

I have been considering the purchase of one and was wondering if any of you have had the opportunity to own one/shoot one extensively.

What should I look for? Anything special regarding this model as far as idiosyncracies that would steer you away from one?

For straight target shooting, it's impossible to better the Officer's Model Match. I've had .38 and .22 models. From the 20's through the 60's, when autos took over, just about EVERY top shooter used the Colts.

Other than making sure the gun is in good shape, not out of time, or otherwise damaged or worn, I'd just get one in the best shape possible. You won't be dissapointed.

Had one up to a couple of years ago. Make sure timing is good, timing is more apt to go on these than on a Smith. Compared to a Smith the DA sucks, the SA is fine. If you need gunsmithing done it might be harder to find a pistolsmith knowledgeable about older Colt revlovers. They are accurate guns,equal to or better than a K-38 for paper punching.

Indeed, the timing was what I was concerned about. My Python is tighter than a drum when it comes to lockup. I haven't reviewed the internal lockwork design of this pistol and wasn't certain as to its capability to retain a good tight lockup over many thousands of rounds.

The pistol would be used with wadcutters to punch paper or small game if necessary. Naturally, I would be using light loads in the gun.

Colt Officers Model Match

removed

Last edited:
Looks good m3. What are you looking to get for the gun? What state are you in? Do you have the original box, sight accessories, and papers?

An alternative is a K-38 Masterpiece Single Action, essentially a single-action Model 14. Usually a bit cheaper than the Colt, but every bit as accurate.

m3bullet,
I imagine your piece is going to generate alot of interest. If you haven't sold it yet, would you mind quoting a price? That is a sweet ol' gun.
Thanks,
vanfunk

Back