Colt officers model match .22

M17

Inactive
A few days ago I bought this Colt officers model match caliber 22lr over the internet, without knowing much about the gun. It has not been fired a lot and the gun is in very good condition.

When I received the gun yesterday I was blown away by the looks and quality feeling of the gun. Easily the best SA trigger I have ever felt in a handgun. Cant wait to fire it :)
Had to pay 290$.
Does anyone have any information about this gun, estimated value?
Serial number 85697.

Hco1E08.jpg

You paid $290 for a Colt Officer's Model Match?

Are you sure you didn't drop a 1 from in front of the 290?

If that's all you paid for it, you got one of the monumental bargains of the year, easily $500 to $700 LESS than what one should go for.

Um. Yeah. That's kind of a nice gun...If you want to make a quick $10 I'll give you $300 for it.

P.S. If you're in the continental United States I'll drive over this afternoon and pick it up. Got some Pythons lying around too?

Had the gun to the range today, and it is a pleasure to shoot. Created small groups at 25 yards from the first shot.

Im located in Norway, so gun prices tend to be even stiffer than in the US. Just bought a used Glock 19 gen 3 for 750$.

Gun looks to have similarities to the Python, built on the same frame?

Im located in Norway

So....might be Thursday afternoon.

Unless of course I go west to get to Norway in which case I'll have to cross the International Date Line which I think means I would have been there yesterday...

On the third hand maybe I'll just congratulate you on having a VERY nice revolver.

Good luck.

Gun looks to have similarities to the Python, built on the same frame?

Yes, the old ".41 frame" originating with the Army Special.
Later used on Official Police, Officer's Model Target, Officer's Model Special, Officer's Model Match, Trooper, Three Fifty Seven, and Python.
Also known as the "E" or "I" frame, depending on whether the firing pin is on the hammer or floating in the frame.

Alright, firing pin is located at the hammer. Will this make it more robust for dry firing?
All in all very pleased with this gun.

Im located in Norway, so gun prices tend to be even stiffer than in the US.

Seriously? You just paid $290.00 for a revolver that, in the condition you described, would go for at least $850.00 in my neck of the woods and likely even a couple of hundred dollars more.

Imo, you have one of the finest target revolvers ever made. If I were to dry-fire any .22 rimfire much, I'd use snap caps, spent brass or #4-6-8x 7/8" (yellow) ribbed plastic drywall anchors (Crown Bolt #54772 or The Hillman Group #370326) as found in most any hardware store.

I also have a Officer Model match in .22 rf, made in 1930, the first year for that model. You got one heck of a deal on that gun.

Don't know how yours is but mine is extremely accurate. I can't tell you much about the frame or anything like that because I didn't pay much attention to those specs.

This gun is a keeper for sure. The precision of the gun is way better than what I can perform.
Just have to give it a good clean, the .22lr leaves a lot of dirt!

Nice revolver! I have one in .38 spl and it has the best trigger of any revolver I own, including three Pythons.

Howdy

I dunno about guns being more expensive in Norway, but I can tell you that you stole that one. I paid a little bit over twice that for this one a few months ago. It was made in 1936.

Officers%20Model%20Target%2022%2001_zps6wuy5aug.jpg

Regarding the firing pin, absolutely not, do not dry fire it without some sort of protection for the firing pin. This one is quite pristine and has hardly been fired at all over the years. I can tell because there is almost no sign of case heads slamming into the recoil shield from recoil. That firing pin is a separate piece and is pinned in place. If you should snap it off, good luck trying to find a replacement. I make it a practice to never dry fire guns without some sort of protection for the firing pin.

If you can't find 22 snap caps where you live, put spent cases into the chambers. Be sure to rotate them every time so the firing pin makes a fresh, new dent. If you drop the hammer on the same dent a few times, the brass will take on the shape of the firing pin and will no longer protect it.

Hammer_zpsgfivndmg.jpg

Yeah, 22 ammo tends to be dirty because of the lube on the outside of the bullet. That's just the way it is with 22s.

290 U.S. dollars? My book says around 1967 or 68 with that serial.

I like em. I have 2 OMTs in 38 and one in 22. The OMM in 22 pictured third from top went to a new owner a couple years ago.

standard.jpg

"That is a nice looking gun! From what I have found out my gun was made in 1967".

You have the Colt Officer's Model Match.
This was the last of the old type Colt Officer's Models, and was made from 1953 to 1969.

In the days when the revolver was the preferred formal Target Match revolver, the Colt Officer's Model series held all the records, and were used by the top shooters.

The frame size and action were the same as used for the later Python, although the Officer's Models had the firing pin on the hammer and the Python's was inside the frame.
An Officer's Model in proper adjustment and good condition will often shoot with a Python.

Here's some info on the Colt revolvers, including the famed Officer's Models:

http://www.coltfever.com/

Well, I can honestly admit that this was pure luck. I bought the gun because I liked the look of it on the photo, it was inexpensive and I wanted to own a Colt.

Back