Colt Officer's Model-Grip Safety Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckyned

I bought it used and latter realized the grip safety is not working. Anyone buy a "drop-in" beaver from Dillon(actually it's a Wilson) and have it really "drop-in"? I was hoping to ride alittle higher and use less scab softner. Why would you de-activate the safety? Some folks can't squeeze it? It the hammer safety enough?

I've owned a couple of Officers and "Compacts" and they have a tendency to kick a lot more than a full sized - especially the alloy framed ones. They tend to kick up and twist rather than straight back.

I suspect thats why someone deactivated the grip safety - they let the gun get loose in a drill and it failed to fire and they thought they were doing themselves a favor.
Thats the only reason I can think of to deactivate it.

Rather than replace the grip safety, I'd just have it fixed. If you find the safety disengages on fast drills, replace the mainspring housing with an Ed Brown "Wedge" rather than monkeying with the grip safety.
Its easier to see than describe, but the Wedge will force your hand higher on the grip the faster you shoot. Its a cheaper and ultimately better fix than anything else I can think of. I don't think the Wedge lives up to its reputation on full sized 1911's but on the compacts, its a great little upgrade.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

I purchased one from Wilson as a temporary measure. I needed to keep a new Commander's hammer from ripping my jacket when carring until my two other carry guns were returned with new barrels. The Wilson safety is a drop-in part in terms of not having to cut the frame. However the grip safety will still have to be fitted where the safety and the back of the trigger bow contact. Unless you really know what you are doing and have the proper tools, I suggest you have a professional smith do it. It shouldn't cost much. A screw up at best will ruin the part. At worst is an AD that could cost you in court with an ALTERED SAFETY which you installed as a non-professional gunsmith.

I believe the reason for pinning the grip safety is because a lot of shooters, especially in competition, use a wide thumb safety. When they shoot, the keep their thumb on the safety, supposedly to help keep muzzle flip to a minimum.In doing so, certain hand shapes will fail to depress the grip safety, so they would pin them. I would not recommend this for a carry gun, not so much because of an AD, but for the reason Espresso stated- if you had to go to court, an improperly functioning safety would not look good.
I have a Wilson drop-in on my commander, it fit fine, but I did have to fit the part referred to by Espresso. There is a little more gap between the safety and frame than there would be with a professionally fitted beavertail, but not too bad. I agree with Espresso, if you are unsure, take it to a pro. BTW, I also have a "wedge" on my commander, and it does help.
A lot of safeties have a "bump" on the bottom, to help with the problem I described above, something to consider if you prefer a high thumb hold. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by lowrider (edited November 14, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back