Colt New Service advice needed.........

glockjeeper

Anyone on here know of any history with the New Service? I know a little, but someone could always tell me something I haven't heard yet. I've got a chance to get one in 45Colt with the 5.5" barrel, blued, with the hard rubber grips. Mechanically its in excellent shape, bore is bright also. Only bad thing is that its been refinished. Not a bad job at least. The markings on the barrel are still crisp, but the rampant Colt on the sideplate is hard to see. Actually the only part I could make out was its head. No pitting or any other bad spots that I could find. I've got the guy down to $900, which I thought was high, until I checked the Blue Book. I was surprised that the prices were as high as they were. An original specimen in 90% is priced at $1000 even. I asked a guy I know that knows how to judge grades of guns better than me and he said in the shape I described but refinished it would be rated at 80-85%. Which according to the Blue Book would make it about $925. The guy selling the New Service knocked $100 off the price when I first looked at it. Thats how I know he'll come down some more if I push it. Cause it didn't take much to get that first $100 off is why. I'm hoping to get him down to at least $850, more if I'm lucky.
Any thoughts on if this is worth it guys?

First I'd make sure I wasn't looking at a refinished 1917 Colt. These are much lower priced. If it's an original New Service and the re-blue isn't a total 'chop' job, it all depends on wether you want it or not. They aren't going to make any more of these, so as an investment alone it might be a good buy.
If you buy it, you might want to spend the $25.00?? and have Colt research it for you. They can tell you when it was made, how it was setup (type grips, finish) and who it was shipped to.

Your right about callin' Colt, but the price can be upwards of $200, at least for a SAA my brother called about. To get the letter I mean. I've seen the 1917, this one is definitely a civilian model. The 1917s I've seen were marked on the bottom of the barrel and (I think) on the bottom of the grip with US Property marks. This one that I'm lookin' at has the hard rubber grips, worn smooth on some spots. I can't remember the SN but it was in the 300,000 range, I think. Maybe in the 30,000 range. I'll be goin' down that way again Wednesday, I'll make sure to get the SN then. The Blue Book did say that up to (approximately) the late '20s they came with the hard rubber grips, wood thereafter. I'll ask the guy if he knows anymore about the guns previous owner(s) too.

Too High a Price!

glockjeeper---Don't get stung!

Couple of points to ponder before you sink that kind of money into a deal that you might regret---

No. 1: The Colt New Service in .45 Colt is not exactly a rare item. Many fewer of them made than the 1917 version in .45 ACP, true, but this is not a hens teeth item, here.

2. A revolver with a decent reblue is NOT an 85% gun in any way. The percentage scale deals with guns with original finish, to have any collector significance. A decent reblue gun is a ZERO percent original finish. About the best you can say about a reblue is that is refinished with about 85% coverage.

I'll note here that a truly expert RESTORATION of a really old or rare piece is another matter, as is a FACTORY refinish. But a reblue with washed-out markings, rounded edges and dished screw holes is NOT a restoration, even if all the metal is the same color!.

(Consider: Had you rather have a good old Colt [or S&W, or Webley, or whatever] with honest wear and 40% original finish, or one with 95% of a refinish? And who's to say what number refinish this is? A pistol that's been reblued twice or thrice may be getting pretty loose, where the 40% original gun has most of the factory tolerances left.)

AND--Sounds to me as if the price is 'way high, even for an original finish piece.

I have no dog in this fight, as they say, and I'm sure not trying to buy your New Service. Do yourself a favor--go to the largest gun show you can find, or, better, a real arms collectors exhibition. Find someone with several old Colts on his/her table--Preferably some old dude that looks lonesome. Talk about true conditions, and prices, for a shooter, rather than a fine collector's item. Catch the right guy in a talkative mood, you can learn a LOT in a short time. And, he may just have a good shooter for a lot less money than you've discussed.

NOTE--Unless a .45 Colt NS has been rebarrelled, the bore will be something like .454, rather then .451 or .452. For any accuracy at all, you'll need to stick to hollow base factory lead bullet loads, or find someone to sell you the larger diameter bullets for hand loading. I have personal experience on this score.

Again, I hope I haven't burst your bubble, GJ, but I'd hate to see a fellow forum member get swindled, just for lack of a little knowledge. Take a look around before you jump.

Best regards,
Johnny

I think $900 would be way, way to high for a refinished gun.

Many collectors will have no interest at all in a refinished specimen. The maximum I would pay would be $450, and I am probably being generous with that.

Either the seller doesnt know what he is doing or is trying to rip you off.

Back