Colt New Service .38-40 revolver

Salt

I saw this old Colt in a local pawnshop in Burien, WA.

It has a really poor nickel finish on it that is stripping off of the barrel. The wood grips are varnished and that makes the handle slippery as a bar of soap.

I think it would make a great project gun.

Perhaps by spring I can buy it. Then I will have the nickel finish stripped off and then have it engraved and blued. New Hogue grips for that custom fit and then it would make a nice carry piece.

The .38-40 is a usefull cartridge, though one must handload for such a cartridge. I am thinking of pyrodex loads already.

What's the asking price for it?

New Service and Triple Lock (S&W) revolvers are just the neatest damned revolvers ever made.

Cool caliber, too, but very limited ammo selection, and kind of persnickety to reload.

Shoulder Location in 38-40

The 38-40's shoulder varied depending on the manufacturer of the gun. On my Colt New Service it was quite a bit forward than that of currently made brass. That can be a bit of a surprise if you don't realize it can happen. Also it can require to sets of reloading dies, one for new cases and another for previously fired rounds. No big deal if you know what's going on. Kind of surprising if you don't.

I am thinking of cast bullets over a case full of Pyrodex P. Not sure what mold to get just yet though.

Back