Colt new police question

Glockgreat23

I have my grandfather police issue colt new police 32 s&w long. I believe he carried this gun in the late 30's. Externally, it looks to be in good shape and while I can fire it ok, despite cleaning with everything known, the bore just can't look good. Dark, perhaps some pitying, etc. so my question is can this guns barrel be bored out to something else, say a 38? I don't desire a new barrel, wanting to keep as much original as possible.

The answer is no. The New Police is a true .32 frame gun, no room for a larger caliber.
The barrel could be relined. John Taylor could do the work. Poster Scorch here might could or would be likely to know where..

colt new police 32 s&w long.
It is my understanding that Colt would not/did not put that cartridge designation on their guns, but rather the name of the equivalent Colt cartridge with identical dimensions. ".32 Colt New Police"? Colt people...is that not correct?

That is correct, the gun was cataloged as .32 New Police.
But the chamber is .32 S&W Long.
Howsomeever, if you bought .32 Colt NP ammunition, it had the deadly flat pointed bullet, worth a full 5% in calculating Hatcher Stopping Power.

The Colt New Police is a true 32 caliber frame revolver, much like the S&W J frames. There is not enough room to put 6 38s in that cylinder. And the barrel is probably too thin to put a liner in anyway. If it were a Police Positive, sure, but it isn't.

While reboring/rerifling a gun barrel is often discussed, it is a process that is done by very few shops and is rarely cost effective. In this case, it might be impossible if the cylinder is too small to take larger chambers.

Unless there is some issue I don't see, I would spend less and buy a new (or at least newer) gun with a good barrel and retire the old timer to display and maybe occasional shooting.

Jim

Just because it has a dark bore doesn't mean it can't shoot well. Corrosive priming was common back then.

Have you shot it much? How about from a rest?

Back