Colt New Police Handgun

magician422

Curious to see if anyone thinks if this old looking Colt New Police Handgun chambered in 32 S&W long is even worth buying at $99.99? Grip condition is good, metal condition is fair (at best), and bore condition is good. Date of manufacture is 1906.

Pictures attached

Attachments

• UF104500252_L2.jpg
    UF104500252_L2.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 193
  • UF104500252_L1.jpg
    UF104500252_L1.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 116
If the gun is intact and working, it is well worth the money; it might not look like much of a collectible, but those old Colts are rather scarce.

Jim

Another vote for Hell Yeah!

But only if it is functionally 100%.

If it's not working, you'll play hell finding someone who can make it work again.

"...metal condition is fair..." Metal doesn't look too bad. Finish is worse than the steel. Hard to tell from a picture. The hammer pitted? If it is, it's not horribly pitted.
Mind you, for $100, buy it.

Howdy

Is the revolver actually marked for the 32 S&W Long cartridge? The 32 Colt New Police Cartridge was just about identical to the 32 S&W Long, the bullet weighed a couple of grains more and the bullet had a flat point. Other than that it was the same cartridge, but Colt would be hard pressed to stamp anything with the S&W name on their guns. That revolver should be able to chamber and fire the short 32 S&W, the 32 New Police, and the 32 S&W Long cartridges.

As long as it is in good mechanical condition and has been checked out by someone familiar with these old guns.

32%20SW%2032%20Colt%20NP%2032%20SWLong_zpsnus237gt.jpg

Only about 49,500 New Police revolvers were made from 1896 until 1907 when it was replaced by the Police Positive models.

No, it wouldn't be marked S&W.

The only indicator that it will chamber the .32 S&W Long round is teh "New Police" stamp.

Later guns, like my .32 Police Positive, were often only marked .32 Police.

No, it wouldn't be marked S&W.

The only indicator that it will chamber the .32 S&W Long round is teh "New Police" stamp.

Later guns, like my .32 Police Positive, were often only marked .32 Police.

I know that. I was asking the OP what was marked on this gun.

Curious to see if anyone thinks if this old looking Colt New Police Handgun chambered in 32 S&W long is even worth buying at $99.99? Grip condition is good, metal condition is fair (at best), and bore condition is good. Date of manufacture is 1906.

As long as it's mechanically sound I'd absolutely buy it for that price.
I've had a couple of Police Positive Specials in .32-20. They're neat revolvers and that price is very right for a working gun.

My spreadsheet says I own 52 Colts, most bought in 2013.
I have quit buying them. They want too much money.

The OP revolver I would expect to be priced at $275 in the pawn shop.

"I know that. I was asking the OP what was marked on this gun."

If you look at the first picture, it's clearly marked on the barrel Colt New Police .32...

Back