Colt New Frontier .45

AUTiger73

A friend just took a Colt New Frontier .45 Colt, 7.5" barrel SA revolver in trade for some MOPAR Muscle car parts. He offered it to me for $300. It is described in "as new condition" and questioning him further he said it is "100%" blue and looks unfired.

Never really wanted one of the these Colt SA with adjustable sights BUT at this price, well I can't resist. Can't think of any reason why I should not buy it. Any comments?

As I recall, these guns are similar to the Colt SA Army model except they have an adjustable rear sight and a "highly ugly" front sight. Seems like they were made in the 1960's or 1970's, but I have no idea of Colt's quality in that era. Any comments?

Another thought. Most of these guns were made with color-case hardened frames and blue cylinders & barrels. Is the all-blue version rare? - or is it refinished? How can I tell if it is refinished?

Made an appointment to purchase for noon tomorrow.

Appreciate any comments.

I honestly can't think of any reason you would even take the time to post a thread BEFORE you buy it. Snap that thing up as soon as possible before it gets away; if you don't want to keep it, you can always sell it later for a lot more than you paid.

BUY IT!!

There's nothing real special about them that I recall, but the .22 New Frontiers are going in the high $200's and the .45 is one heck of a lot more gun. Even if you don't end up liking it, you'll get your money out of it in sale or trade, EASY.

Congrats on finding a good deal.

Visited a Books-a-Million Store this afternoon and looked this up in 2 different sources.

One book had the following information pertaining to Colt New Frontiers: Made from 1961 to 1975 values from 400 (vg) to $600 excellent condition. (This seems a bit low!)

Next I looked in Standard Catalog of Firearms and found higher prices. The book list exellent condition as $ 800 with various premiums for scarce versions and I found that the "all blue" model are rare, bringing a 50% premium. This is consistent with my expectations. But, as always, it is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

Bods: You are absolutely correct. This one will be purchased like many others in my collection. If it shoots great, I'll keep it. Otherwise, I'll turn-it for a profit. Should make an excellent trade piece for the next Birmingham Gun Show.

Well Ill know tomorrow if the 45 Colt New Frontier is the "real deal" or a dud. In excellent condition, I'll take it for $ 300.

My only concern about Colt is their uncertain quality. I've had a number of Colts over the years, but the only ones that stayed were my great-grand father's old SA and a Combat Commander purchased in 1973.

DCR: I don't know about .22 New Frontiers but I recently found a .22 Colt Peacemaker (meaning without adjustable sights) and presumably built on the larger Peacemaker frame. Interestingly, it has both the .22LR and .22WMR cylinders. The Daleville (AL) gun dealer has it marked "rare" and priced at $ 650. It is in mint condition and according to my Blue Book Y2000 Edition it is worth about $ 500.

whiskey: Come on now. Give me a break! We've had a bad year in sports and hate & discontent is rampant on the plains. Coaches departing, faculty suing the University, accreditation investigation, the formation of a PAC to oust the current Board of Directors, and rotten Alabama education politics as usual. The University of Alabama only needs to worry about the NCAA, but Auburn is their own worst enemy!

$300 for a near new Colt's New Frontier .45 is a STEAL! I have one in 4 3/4" bbl, and $300 could barely buy the grips! Colt'd quality control on mine is superb.

I love to shoot it. It's accurate as hell, and those adjustable sights puts the bullet where I want it. It's a great carry piece out in the woods, and with my handloads with good, hard cast 260 gr SWC GC bullets and ten grains of Unique, I feel more than comfortable tooling around here in the Rocky Mountains of Idaho.

FWIW. J.B.

Sounds interesting. New Frontiers are neat guns, although they don't command the interest or the price of the SAA.

I'd check it over thoroughly. Listen for the four clicks the action is supposed to make as the hammer is cocked. Most Colts of that era were fine, but some had major problems right out of the box. I had a 1970s SAA whose cylinder liked to jam. Also, some New Frontiers had a canted front or rear sight. Of course, previous owners cause more problems than Colt's--five minutes in the kitchen with a screwdriver can ruin the finest gun ever made.

If the cylinder frame is blue rather than color case hardened, the odds are it's been refinished ....

Let us know how it works out.

Good luck! :)

I sold an identical revolver to a dealer (for resale) 4 years ago for $475.00 and have regretted it ever since. $300.00? Snap it up! NOW!!

Got It!

However, nothing is ever exactly like it is described over the phone, especially by a "non-gun" person. Here is the real story:

Colt New Frontier 7.5" barrel but not the rare "full blue" finish, but has the original color case-hardened frame and original royal blue finish on barrel, cylinder, and grip frame. It was also a later production gun than anticipated.

Without giving the full serial number, suffice to say it is 057**NF which means it is a "Third Generation" Colt SA. According to my out-of-date Blue Book (Y2000 edition) the serial number indicated it was made in 1979. The copy of the original bill of sale is dated November 1979. The value figures listed therein would indicate I paid ($ 300) about half what it was worth.

Condition: Color case hardened finish on frame is perfect. The blue on the barrel and cylinder is perfect with exception of the usual slight cylinder bolt ringing of the cylinder. However, the grip frame has 2 very small rust spots on the back-strap near the butt. These spots appear to be superficial surface rust which I will attempt to remove by scrubbing with Hoppe's # 9. If necessary I'll use some 000 steel wool with Hoppe's # 9. Blue finish is otherwise excellent. Overall I would call it 99%+ finish.

Action is very tight with a .005" barrel gap and very little end play. But the trigger is almost too good! By far, this is the cleaness, lightess, trigger of any gun in my collection. (Makes me wonder if I should order some spare parts.) However, the hammer can not be forced from the full cock notch, so I may be unduly alarmed. (Been around too many Rugers!)

QUESTION: Did the Third Generation Colt New Frontiers come from the factory with light/clean triggers? Appreciate any input.

Last edited:
An after thought: Cocking the hammer I hear the music of 4 clicks, as it engages the full cocking notch on the last click. Lockwork seems very sound to me and fully engaged at full cock.

My only concern is the trigger which could not be more than 2 pounds. My great-grand dads old 1st Generation Colt SA is not this light. My 2 U.S. Arms Abilenes have light triggers, but nothing like this and I won't even mention my 2 Ruger Birds Head Vaqueros.

Maybe I just don't know when to appreciate an excellent trigger.
This trigger seems to be hot-wired to my brain: Just think about pulling the trigger and it's done!

Again, any comments about Colt (3rd Generation) New Frontier triggers would be greatly appreciated.

I believe the term "New Fronteir " came from a John F. Kennedy speech once, where he used that term. Colt caught on to the idea and used the name for it's new SA revolver. Colt has sence come out with a "Frontier" model, not to beconfused with the "New Frontier" which has totally different lock work. I bought one a few years back. A "New Frontier"44 special caliber for $900.

About the rust, I suggest using well-oiled, fine bronze wool rather than steel wool. It may be less effective against rust, but is also less apt to thin the surrounding blue. Just my $0.02. :)

Per Fjestad's newest Blue Book:

Colt started with "Colt Frontier Six Shooter" etched onto the barrel for the .44 WCF cartridge in 1878. Etching ended in about 1890; thereafter it was stamped. Mine is of 1903 manufacture.

Colt's "New Frontier" began in 1961. JFK's tenure as President was, of course, 1961-1963. Who contributed what to whom is strictly problematic.

I would expect a New Frontier to be well made. I recall no commentary about quality control problems, from the early '60s on into the early '80s. It does sound as though some gunsmithing was done to the trigger, but if it's crisp and clean I don't see why it should be any problem.

Fjestad sez 98%, 7-1/2" barrel, is worth $765. ($900 minus 15% for that particular barrel.)

Art

Just returned from the range. The accuracy can only be described as amazing!

After we learned to manage that light trigger pull the results were just unbelievable. While my best groups came with the Remington LSWC and Federal LHP loads, ranging between 2" and 2.75" at 25 yards, both my sons were consistently putting them inside 1.5" at that distance. But my 57 year-old eyes still had problems with that front sight, even on the longer barrel.

The best way I can describe the trigger is that it is "hard-wired" to my brain. Just place you finger on the trigger and think "pull" and its done!

Now that we are all aware of the safety issues related to this particular gun, we will exercise extra special care and leave that fine trigger alone for now.

As I have with all my guns, I will order some spare parts, and that will definitely include a trigger, hammer, various flat springs, etc. I presume that Colt will still have the parts, if not I'll try GunParts Inc.

Back