Colt Navy?

otisrush

I received this pistol from my Dad. (He was more into the antique guns than I was - so I don't recall stuff very well.) I think he always referred to as a "Colt Navy".

So - can anyone help me understand what this is: Era? Other information?

Thanks much.

OR

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

You have one of several "Remington New Model Army Revolvers," made, according to Flayderman, from 1863-1875, with an estimated total quantity of 122,000 guns made.

From what I can see in the photo, you have a mortised front sight, indicative of an early production model.

Other, more knowledgeable people are soon to join in.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

Is the "Colt Navy" term accurate in any way for this piece? Is it a scenario where it's a Colt design but this is (obviously) Remington made? I'm trying to ascertain if my memory is bad (likely) or my dad was wrong (less likely - although you know how it goes with dads - they can seemingly do no wrong.) :) If they say it - you can take it to the bank - NOT! LOL

OR

P.S.: Man - I wish he would have been around to experience the internet. He would have had a ball getting access to all this information regarding his firearms passion.

Is the "Colt Navy" term accurate in any way for this piece?

Nope. It's a Remington New Army. The Navy was a .36 and had a German silver front sight as did the early production Armies. Later production had the mortised sights like yours. The military designated the Army and Navy calibers as .36 for Navy and .44 for Army.

No, it isn't even the same brand. Colt and Remington are to different companies, just like Ford and Chevy. They are of the same time period, but are different guns entirely. As said, you have a 1858 Remington Army revolver, rather than a 1861 Colt Navy.

Back