Colt Navy replica?

joeranger

Just got this gifted to me but need to get it from chicago to virginia.

It looks like an Italian small scale replica. Maybe in .30? How do I find out how to fire it? No definite marks except a partial Italy on the butt.

Attachments

• image1 (2).jpeg
    image1 (2).jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 165
  • image0 (14).jpeg
    image0 (14).jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 150
Cap and Ball Revolver. I would take it down to the local shop that sells powder, balls and caps. They will be able to fix you up because your going to need those components anyhow. Sometimes these pistols come with a mold to make the lead balls. Ask your benefactor if he has the mold for this one.

Pocket Colt

It is hard for me to get perspective from your pictures, but I suspect you have semi- replica of an 1862 Pocket Navy. I say semi as the the original frames were steel and your repro has a brass frame, which is a common thing in replica C&B revolvers.
You state the caliber may be .30, if that is the case then your copy MAY be an 1849 Pocket that came in .31 caliber (kind of). If it is a .36 caliber, it it a Pocket Navy (again sort of). I state "sort of" as the .31's take .320-323 balls and the .36's take .375-380). The 1849-.31's are really tiny, so I think your gun is actually a Pocket Navy in .36.
As in all things these days, I suggest checking on Youtube on some tutorials on how to load and fire a C&B revolver. Watch several. It is imperative you use black powder or a black powder substitute like Pyrodex. In brief, loose powder is poured in the chamber mouth, using a powder measure for a specified amount. A lead ball is placed in the mouth of the chamber, then the rammer on the pistol is used to drive the ball down into the cylinder. Grease/lube is then smeared over the mouth of the charged cylinder. Once the cylinders are charged/greased, percussion caps are placed over the cones on the back side of the cylinder. A tool known as a "capper" helps in this process, but is not essential. There are a number of nuances to this process, watch the video's, "duelist1954" does a good job with his material. If you could locate an experienced C&B shooter, that would be beneficial, but not essential if you are familiar with firearms to some degree.
The brass framed guns are thought to be a bit soft by many. If your gun is indeed a .36, I'd think a charge of 15 grains would be appropriate.

Black powder is corrosive, a good clean up after shooting for storage is essential.

I am thinking of a copy of 1848 Baby Dragoon, 5 shot .31 with square back trigger guard.
Except with brass receiver.

Being cap and ball, it is not a "firearm" in federal law, but getting it out of Chicago might be the trick.

square

I was wrong! I completely missed the squared off trigger guard. Watson has it (as nearly always) a Baby Dragoon, in brass. Charge weight of 10-12 grains I'd think.

The first step needs to be determining if the gun is legally a firearm, where it physically is now. And if it is where it is going.

Generally speaking, muzzle loaders are not legally firearms under Federal law, but may be under some state's laws.

If it is not legally a firearms at its origin location or at its destination location, shipping should be simple.

IF it is considered a legal firearm at either end, then things get more complicated, as all applicable STATE/local laws must be complied with.

If it is in Chicago now, you need someone there able to determine its legal status.

Once that's done, planning can continue.

Yup definitely a .31 baby dragoon. We're it a .36 at that size it would have a stepped cylinder.

I've not seen a brass framed baby dragoon replica. Neat little revolver

Unfortunately

Many states have taken to calling muzzle loaders firearms. To protect the children dontcha know.
Archery deer season in Oregon is also known as Felon's season. Oregon is one of those states.

Muzzle loaders were always firearms, back when they were the only kind. The Federal govt stopped regulating them a while back, 1968 I think, possibly earlier. Most states followed suit. Some didn't, particularly with pistols, and some have gone back to classifying them as firearms, even though the federal govt no longer bothers.

Archery season is "Felon's season" because they can legally hunt (unless those rights were removed) with a bow.

I do not think they can hunt with a muzzle loader, because while the Fed (and perhaps the state) doesn't consider them firearms, Felons are, I believe, prohibited from having the powder, as black powder is an explosive.

(if I'm in error, please correct me)

I do not think they can hunt with a muzzle loader, because while the Fed (and perhaps the state) doesn't consider them firearms, Felons are, I believe, prohibited from having the powder, as black powder is an explosive

While black powder is considered a low explosive (which is why there are special hoops to jump through to store and sell it), most BP substitutes are classified In a similar manner as a smokeless propellant. I'm not aware of any regulation that prevents felons from possessing pyrodex. I'm not even aware of any law preventing a felon from possessing BP pure, but since it technically is an explosive I cede the possibility that such a law may be on the books somewhere.

I know felons + muzzleloader is OK in my state. Others may vary.

Felons can't hunt with or possess black powder firearms in MS. I don't know about actual black powder.

Felons

I do hear round the digital campfire that felons can and do possess PCP guns. While they can be as or more powerful than their nitro burning cousins, by definition they are not "fire" arms.

Back