Colt Mustang ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHORTFUSE

Who owns or has fired a Colt Mustang?? I want something small , reliable & accurate. I feel the "SA" of the Mustang with a short trigger pull should yield good results in the
accuracy dept. Talk to me about "Mustangs". The Good , the bad & the fugly!

mustangpocket.gif

I have owned my mustang series 80 for a year now, first thing i did was get rid of the plastic guide rod, plastic trigger,weak recoil spring,plastic grips. replaced with stainless guide rod,stronger recoil spring,alloy trigger.and wooden grips. all purchased thru scott,mcdougall and associates, now i have a accurate, point of aim out to 15 ft,useing hot cor-bon 90 grainers, non jamming,easy to carry, back up gun ,for my colt lightweight commander.

T-wheel hit it right on the head. I have one and made the exact same mods to it. Excellent little gun. Accurate and reliable. The locked breech design gives it much less felt recoil than than blowback designs.
Being small and light, it makes an great "always" gun, meaning you will always carry it because you can put it on and pretty much forget its there.

Sportster , (is that a US Robotics modem name?). The Colt pocket 9mm cp9000 is DAO. Like my Kahr K40 DAO. I believe a SA pistol will be more accurate like a mustang 1911 type? Any thoughts on SA versus DAO?

I had a Mustang-accurate yes, jammed on a regular basis. Got rid of and bought the Colt pocket nine, not one failure to date. You do have to like to DAO trigger as this is all that is offered. Now that I have owned a single action and DAO pistol, read all the debate about both, I still like both of them. They both have up & downs & in my opinion I feel good about carring either.

Later
Daren

Size difference between Mustang & Colt pocket 9mm seems more than just a little. I carry IWB. Colt pocket 9mm seems too big , kinda chubby for comfortable IWB carry??

Daren,
Did you leave the original plastic guide rod in yours? That could have been the source of your trouble. I put the Scott/McDougal in mine and have never had a jam.

I'm not familiar with the lock work on the Pony. Aren't you afraid of sweeping off that manual safety when carried in your pocket? Seems to me this is a "holster only" gun if you carry it with a round in the barrel...

I have a factory government model(got it before the mustangs appeared) that I carried daily for years. The accuracy was great. but the functioning wasn't. It carried well IWB or on the ankle. I could keep it running 95% with FMJ and a lot of TLC.

------------------
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Matthew 5:9

ok, here is the problems with the stock mustang as i found them. the plastic guide rod that comes stock.flexes during recoil thus knocking the action slightly out of sync.then the weak recoil springs (2 each) lack enough energy to force the round into chamber. the mag release catch is very weak,making it very easy to dump the mag during rapid fire.the slide stop will fall out, if the weapon is tilted towards its left side during operation--after i replaced the guide rod, with a stainless steel one,replaced the 8 pound recoil springs, with a single 11 pound one, installed a stronger spring in the magazine release catch. replaced the slide stop with a updated one. and for good measure ,replaced the plastic trigger with a alloy one. all purchased thru scott,mcdougal and associates. with the exception of the mag catch spring. it functions perfectly.i haven`t had a malfunction in the last 400 rounds. also replacment of the plastic trigger gives it a nice crisp action---the cost of improvements was around $130.00. i hope this info helps

T-wheel , You hit it on the head! That was some good info! Thanks. Only $130.00 thats all? You made alot of mods , did you make the mods yourself? Which mods required a gunsmith? Did you have malfunctions before the mods were done? I would think just the parts alone for what you did would be $200.00 plus? I am not happy about spending $400.00 plus for a new pistol then having to spend more money ($$) to make it work right. I might just buy a "Kimber Ultra Carry" instead. This is why I refuse to buy any Keltec products , I am not going to spend time sending pistols back to the factory. Thanks for the good info t-wheel!

I bought my Mustang Pocketlite in '95. I have made exactly zero modifications to this weapon. I use 95gr Hydra-Shoks for carry and 95gr FMJ Blazers for practice. The only malfunction I have encountered to date has been the slide release lever locking the slide back when my right thumb bumped it when shooting wrong-handed. When shooting with my left hand (the correct hand ;)) I have never encountered a single weapon malfunction. :) Because I am Correct-handed ;), I carry my Mustang with the hammer down (in the safety notch) with a loaded chamber. If, in the future, I find myself carring my Mustang more than just occasionally I will have Cylinder & Slide fit one of their ambidextrous safeties for me. Until then I will just continue to be aware of my surroundings.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

My Mustang was completely stock, however the failures were fgailures to extract and this was made worse by different brands of ammo. The day I purchased the pistol the slide refused to stay back when empty, I weakend the sprig problem solved. Then the saftey device that prevents the gun from being fired was causing misfires if you did not pull the trigger completely to the rear-fixed that then the failure to extract. 1$130 to fix a $350 gun? Why not just make it right the first time.

I do carry my pocket nine in the waistband and yes it is comfortable I am 6ft 185lbs

The only place the pocket nine seems alittle big for is in an ankle holster.

Hope this helps

Later
Daren

I'm a relatively new owner of the wee colt Mustang, but I've had a good experience with it. I've loaded it full of pocket lint, and put maybe 600 rounds through it so far (hand loads, factory FMJ and premium) without a single misfire or malfunction. Even with the crappy plastic guide rod.

I owned a Colt .380 Govt. Basically a large .380 Mustang. It was purchased in the late '80s and I ditched it a couple years later.

I had nothing but problems with it. It was totally unreliable with any type of H.P. and was shaky with FMJ's.

I also had a few instances with the "hook arm looking thingee" on the frame getting caught in the frame itself.

I know that is really vague and totally confusing, hopefully somebody whose had the same experience can give the proper nomenclature.

In short, I was completely underwhelmed with my experience with my Colt .380. I tried to like it, but I think it was just too fragile a design. I owned it prior to obtaining a CCW, so it was never carried. It seems like it would make a good carry gun IF you had a reliable specimen and you weren't bothered by possibly staking your life (or loved ones') on the .380 cartridge.

Just my experiences...

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back