Colt Mustang stake on sight?

Wonabe

Inactive
Like the title states the pocketlite I picked up today appears to have a staked front sight? It's old, mid 80's. Wasnt sure if this was common "back in the day" and if there are any replacments available. The rear sight is also different. It's a 3 dot set up. Ive never seen a sight staked twice like this
wv63ip.jpg

wk0n45.jpg

Quite common on Colts

Quite common on some Colts and yes, there are replacements available. I understand it take some kind of special tool that most smiths have. ….. :)

Be Safe !!!

That is the infamous Millett Dual Crimp front sight. No longer made, nothing like it made, the only way to replace it neatly is by welding up the holes and cutting a cross dovetail. I think Novak charges an extra $50 when installing their sights.

The rear sight looks like one off a G.M. .45, same dovetail, just bigger than what came on the .380.

I agree with Jim Watson. I have that exact front sight on a 1911, but I don't remember where I bought it. Best guess is that I got it from Brownells , many years ago. If not Brownells, then possibly Sarco or Numrich (Gun Parts Corp.)

I don't think it's an easy change on the Mustang, though. My recollection is that the front sight on the Mustang as an integral part of the slide, so the original front sight would have to be milled off, then the slide would have to be broached to create the slot for the new sight to be crimped into.

Because it closes off all other options for a sight without weld repair.
Because it is no longer made so you cannot readily replace it with a different blade installed in the same holes.
Because it was usually poorly installed.

^^^ All true.

On the other hand, when installed properly it isn't prone to flying off, as other replacement sights made to fit the older, narrow tenon slides were.

Nothing wrong with properly-installed Millet sights.
They do appear on ebay occasionally, and the size and spacing of the holes is consistent, so every Millett dual-crimp sight will fit, you just have to find the one that floats your boat, as they had four or five options of color, dots, etc., and different heights.

I have one that's about a half-inch tall, with a giant white dot, that I got in a parts lot.
One of my .45s has a plain, serrated ramp matched with an adjustable Millett rear; maybe not sexy, but perfectly functional.

The sights on the OP's gun are an improvement over the stock set-up.

Back