Colt Mustang Pocketlight

Keith Rogan

I recently picked up one of these little guys - I couldn't resist! A friend showed it to me and.. well, it was just a baby 1911 and I just had to take it home and give it a cookie and wipe its butt.
Anyway, very impressive! I had read that these guns had low recoil because of the locked breech, but it was hard to credit that until I shot it. It's like shooting a .22. I have an AMT in .380 that is about the same size and it's a painful gun to shoot.
I did manage to get the ejector reversed when I broke it down - and using the search here on TFL, found the solution to that problem - thanks! I don't have a manual but ordered one from Colt the other day.

Anyway, I really like this gun. It's pleasant and fun to shoot. Plenty accurate enough to put the hurt on any beer can within 20 yards. Reliable too - I've put about 200 hundred rounds of various types through it without a malfunction.
I will replace the plastic guide rod and trigger, and the gun deserves prettier grips. It's a shooter! It has replaced the AMT as my carry gun and now resides in my jacket pocket stoked with hydra-shocks.

Keith--

My Mustang Pocketlite was my first concealed carry piece. At 12.5 ounces,
it's still my choice for my "summer" pistol. Perfect for light carry in my Galco Hip Pouch or one of M/D Enterprises BS-2, high ride holsters. With the BS-2, I can conceal my Mustang under just a T-shirt! I practice with Hydra-Shok "PD's" because I'm hoping that reduced recoil means reduced wear on the alloy frame. (And you can't get these little pistols any more [NIB] from Colt.) I was reading an article on Mustang Pocketlites in a gun mag a few months ago and the author said that out of all the Colts you can't get any more, the Mustang Pocketlite should be the most "lamented". I LOVE mine!

Kentucky Rifle

I've had my Mustang Pocketlite for many years. Even though I now have several smaller "pocket" guns, I still reach for the Mustang when I want a small gun. It's like an old shoe, confortable and familiar. I sent mine to SM&A for their Pocket Carry Package, it was a very good investment. They rounded all the corners, replaced the plastic trigger and guide rod, did a reliability job, and I also got real sights while it was there. I also have a SS standard Mustang for range practice. If I ever see another Pocketlite, I'll grab it on the spot!

I have a Mustang and a Mustang PocketLite, one for the range and one for the pocket.;) I hope Colt will start producing them again, I may need some spare parts before too much longer.

Yeah, it's a sweet little piece alright! The first rule being to "have a gun", there is no excuse not to carry this one in any season, in any clothing.

Pocketlite grips and extended mags

I've also looked at this pistol but it seems like the grip is a bit to short for me; are there any mag extensions that would allow you to get the third finger on the grip. Also, does hogue or anyone else make an aftermarket grip for this pistol.Thanks

I own a Mustang and 2 Ponies. Love them all. I rarely carry the Mustang because I am not comfortable with it cocked and locked in my pocket. But I agree it is a very shootable handgun.

In answer to the previous post Colt makes a magazine with a grip extension. It also adds one additional round. I've also seen several aftermarket grips for the Mustang and they were very nice indeed.

I have a few questions for the Gentleman who sent his pistol to SM&A for their PCP. Did you have aftermarket sights installed or did they modify your stock sights. I would love to send them my Pony but can't afford the Novaks yet. If they do a credible job with the stock sights I think that would suffice. Any opinions.

Has anyone seen aftermarket grips for the Pony? I've seen them for the Mustang but never for the Pony. I would even consider the expense of custom grips if I could find a maker.

One thing I did do that helps the Pony tremendously was take some of the scraps from a set of Glock rubber decal grips and fashion the same thing for my Pony. Really worked well.

With my recoil spring guide replaced with a metal one. My decal grips, a magazine loaded with Magsafe ammo and my Pony tucked into my front jeans pocket in a Galco pocket holster I feel adequately armed.

I agree it is a shame they no longer make these fine little pistols.

This is my first post. I promise not to be as long winded next time.

I hear tell on the street (actually at my local dealer) that Colts will be reissuing the Mustang very soon. Soon enough that I should be able to get a price from him in a month or so, so he says. :D

Bobbalouie

I sent my gun quite a while back to SM&A, and I had a modified 1991 sight on the rear, and a Novak dovetail sight installed for the front sight. I don't think the stock sights can be made nearly as nice as installing real sights on the gun. I have an SS Mustang that I'm thinking of sending off to SM&A for the same treatment, it's my range practice gun now.

I got my Mustang pocketlite back from SM&A 2 weeks ago and as others have already stated - it was money well spent. Its nickle and I bought a set of ivory grips from Dan Chesiak (203-723-8600) for $45 that really add to it. The hard part was waiting while the work was being done.

-- Chuck

[Edited by ctc on 03-03-2001 at 04:14 PM]

Melted Mine

I picked up a stainless Mustang and got rid of my PPK, the difference in recoil has to be felt to be appreciated.

Then I discovered the Pony Pocketlite. Bought a new one via gunbroker.com. Had my local smith melt it and make it black with a poly coat.

My wife saw it and I had to get her one or loose mine.

I picked up a Colt Extended Magizine which has a nice hook on it for your pinky. Works in the Mustang and the Pocketlite.

Then I discovered the Pocket Nine. Got one of those too.

I had a Kahr P9 and if you take them both (pocket nine and kahr) apart you can see why kahr sued colt (and prevailed).

Just MHO but I think the Pocketlite is a best in class product.

If Colt started making Mustang Pocketlites again...

I'd run all the way to Tilford's and buy another. I'd also be interested if Colt started the stainless steel model again.

Kentucky Rifle

I just picked up a stainless Mustang Pocketlite yesterday ... it was sitting in the used cabinet just begging me to take it home. It's in 98-99% condition - and after a good cleaning, all that's left is for me to take it to the range. From the posts above, it sounds like it should be a keeper.

Back