Colt Model 1860 Army 44

mdeml

Inactive
Good evening all. I am relatively new to the civil war era. I am interested in buying a replica/original Colt Model 1860 Army revolver. I remember back in the 70's that Colt was manufacturing some of their black powder revolvers again. Has that continued? I have no idea who the quality manufacturers are now or who to avoid. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.;)

The 2 major manufacturers are Uberti and Pietta. Their quality is reportedly very similar, yet it's always recommended to buy from an outfit that has a well established "no hassel" return/exchange policy due to the potential to receive a flawed gun.
The older Colt 2nd Generation & later replicas are still very much available NIB I believe. A local gunshop here has some although they are considerably more expensive. And they are sometimes available on the gun auction websites too. But the Colt branded guns aren't being manufactured anymore.
I was at a small antique gunshow last weekend and a local vendor was selling an unfired stainless steel 1860 Army Colt replica made in 1979 for $400 without the box. I've offered to help anyone who's sincerely interested procure it if it hasn't already been sold. But even though these SS models are very far and few between and highly desirable, no one has taken me up on the offer yet. :rolleyes:
Here's a thread with some pictures of what was apparently the exact same model:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=211620

Good morning,

Taylor's sells Uberti replicas (and others) at reasonable prices and I have read numerous posts that they are commited to customer satisfaction (never had a problem with my Colt so do not know from first hand).

Here is a link that includes their Uberti 1860 Colt Army .44:

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/bpArmyNavy.tpl

FYI, the A.Uberti company is owned by Baretta, an established firearms manufacturer that has been in the business since 1526.

Most or all of the Ubertis I find on dealers shelves come in Taylor boxes. they seem to be the major distributor around here. they also list spare parts online. Ive shot a stainless colt repro and several Uberti 60s and all have been very satisfactory.

Back