Colt Mark III Question

SL*

Inactive
"Sheriff Special"-Does anyone have any info on this gun. I called Colt and gave them the serial # and all they could tell me was that it was made in 1975 and that it is a J-frame. They had no Sheriff Special model listed. He could only confirm that colt did make this firearm, but did not know what model it was. I don't understand with a serial # why they couldn't trace the gun model. What good is the serial # if the company that made the gun can't link it to a model. It isn't as if it was made in the late 1800s or even the early 1900s. Anyways it's a .357 with a 4" barrel and walnut grips. It's double action and on the barrel it says Colt Mark III "Sheriff Special". It's blued and it is in great condition. I'm not concerned with the value of the gun. I just need more info to make sure I can carry it with my Sheriff Posse Unit. They only allow certian guns(and only wheelguns). The Tropper & the Lawman are two of them. If this is some sort of custom Tropper or Lawman from Colts custom shop it should be good to go.(That is what the guy at colt thought it might be, but he could not say with certainty) So far no one can tell me anything about this gun. Regardless I'll show it to my range master and see if he'll approve it. But now my curiosity has the best of me. Oh well hopefully there is someone out there that has the info I'm looking for, or can direct me to where I might find it.Thanks in advance. SL

Last edited:
Fixed or adjustable sights?

The Trooper came with adjustables and the Lawman came with fixed sights. Other than the Python those are the only .357 Magnums they made in '75 in quantity.

There is a Border Patrol model based on the Trooper MKIII frame that was made from 70-75. If it was that apparently the finish would be a bit more matte than polished. I don't know about the type of sights. I assume fixed since it was an issue piece.

The Troopers have a solid rib barrel, if that helps.

It could be a special run for some company. Colt did a lot of that. Also, you may want to go to a library and check some of the gun rags during that time frame. Check for ads that would have a gun like that - similar in nature to the Franklin Mint type of ads for those Liberian Dollar coin sets.

Back