Colt LW Commander 45

Status
Not open for further replies.

Witness-P

Inactive
I have decided on this pistol and just wanted some replies on it. thanks to all who replie

------------------
Don't forget to join the NRA!!

Had one 20 years ago. Mods were some MMC low profile sights, clean trigger, some fine grit sandpaper on the front strap, Herret Shooting Star grips and a throat job. Excellent little piece, tho slightly harder to shoot well than the GM.

Back in those halcyon days before we knew better, carry load was a target reload, a 200 gr Belding and Mull design SWC in front of 6.2 gr of Unique. The light little Commander really liked that load.

Downside, not much. Wish I still had mine...

The LW is Colt's original Commander. If it's to be used as a carry gun, its combination of the good grip of all 1911s plus a substantial savings in weight is compelling. Of course, the trade-off is the reduced recoil-dampening effect of the lighter frame. But many of us tote our carry guns more than we shoot them--BTW this is part of the original Commander concept.

I would not shoot "hot" loads in a LW--certainly not in any quantity--because eventually the frame may crack, as discussed in another TFL thread. I don't believe there will be a problem with the moderate use of standard-pressure factory ammo.

So, if it's used for carry, a Commander LW would be a good choice. (In other applications I personally would have more confidence in a steel frame. YMMV. :))

[This message has been edited by jimmy (edited November 10, 1999).]

I have a Colt CCO which mates the commander slide to an alloy officer's frame. I have been very pleased with the ergonomics, fit, and finish. I had zero malfunctions the first 200 rounds or so with Winchester Silvertips, Federal Hydrashoks, and 230 grain ball. Last shooting session I had several failures to feed with Speer 185 grain gold dots and 230 grain ball. In all cases the slide failed to go fully into battery. I have not determined the cause of the problem, although I did notice that there was considerable powder fouling after less than two dozen shots. I intend to clean and lubricate the gun thoroughly and go back for another session with ammo I have had complete success with. From what I have read on other posts and from personal experience with 1911s, you need to settle on a particular load that works 100% in your gun and stick with it. For me that will probably be the Silvertip or the Hydrashok. Hope this helps.

My daily carry gun is a pre-70 series LW commander built in 1959. Its had the usual mods made for concealed carry, but nothing real fancy. God only knows how many rounds have been through this gun and its still going strong.
Also, I've never noticed any significant difference in the felt recoil between it and a GM.
Excellent gun, excellent choice.

Hey Witness-P; I too had a Colt Lightweight
Commander some 20+ years ago. My friend this
was an excellent firearm; with a real low
serial number. Wish I had it back; but got
a wild hair one hot summer day, and traded
it off, for what I don't remember?

------------------
Ala Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back