Colt light rifle

kknud

Inactive
I'm thinking of buying a colt light rifle. Anyone know anything good, bad or ugly about the gun? Thanks!!!

kknud

I doubt that anyone here is very thrilled with anything that would put a dime in Colt's pocket. If your looking for a light rifle, I'd suggest Remington or Ruger. Both make high quality firearms with lots of options.

If you'd elaborate a bit on your needs you may get more response. Like, what you'll be hunting and where.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

That would make a difference. I assumed he was looking for a light-weight hunting rifle. duh

------------------

By all accounts in the gunzines, the Light Sporter boltgun is quite a rifle. Too bad I'll never find out; I don't give my money to organizations that stab their patrons (i.e.: you and me) in the back by donating moneys to huge anti-gun activists like Chuck Schumer (well-documented on TFL, but I can't find the link to the thread; it was archived.)and HCI, and by refusing to sell defensive handguns to civilians at large.

Please, please do not give Colt a dime of your hard-earned good money. Remington, Winchester, Savage, and even Ruger rifles are thick on the ground, proven designs, and far more beneficial to your rights as a shooter. Money gone to Colt means support for that which is undermining us all.

L.P.

MuleShoe was right, what I am looking at is a very light weight big game hunting rifle. Colt doesn't have any other name for it other than "Colt Light Rifle". It's synthetic and weighs empty 5.4 lbs., and is supposed to be very accurate out of the box. I plan on doing some serious high-country Mule Deer and Elk Hunting, and want to cut out as much weight as possible without sacrificing performance.

Also, what did Colt do?

Thanks!

Longpath: What is going on at Colt? Why would they do such things? I guess I've been blissfully ignorant of the goings on. Why would they cut their own throats like that? I WILL NOT BUY A COLT!!!

if you really want a light rifle, get one with a light stock and skinny tube and then you skeletionize the trigger guard, bolt handle and anywhere else you can cut weight. I've got a Winchester Featherweight with a Leupold 3-9 in 280 that i've used to hunt mule deer and i love it. It shoots wonderfully, is fairly light and hits hard.
By the way for you guys who don't know, Colt bought Ultra Light Arms about 5 or six months ago i suppose. They have also been sucking up to the clinton admin. The real question is how much have the ultra lights gone down in quality since colt bought them?

The way I see it is that the Colt Light Rifle owes it's name to it's synthetic stock.
The rifles are steel,and have the same barrel length as most of it's competitors. Yet this gun is about a pound lighter. I have not gotten my hands on one yet, but it has to be the stock. If I remember correctly, the rifle is built on a 700 Rem type action and takes Remington bases. If you want a "light Remington look-alike" buy the Colt. But seeing what Colt has done to us I would just buy a Rem. model 7 synthetic!
CJB

knud: Sorry that I can't get you the link to the excellent documentation of this-- we had it all this last summer, and due to resource needs, it's been archived. Suffice it to say, the Contribution lists for Chuck Schumer's campaign show that the CEO of Colt is making contributions to one of the biggest anti-gun activist politicians ever, in a HUGE way. Funny how his wife, his kids, family, alll donate the maximum allowed hard money to Schumer. Then came the refusal to make and sell combat handguns. Then came iColt (major play into Clinton and Brady supporters). There's more; I keep forgetting it all.

Little help, people?

Gee, LP, ain't "Schumer" enough? :(

Siddown, Sonny-boy! That's enough profanity for one day! Reminds me too much of defecatory material.

:), Art

I highly recommend the Winchester model 70 Featherwieght. The pre64 classic is available everywhere in blued steel or stainless, and features controlled feed and positive extraction/ejection.
They have a very clean adjustable trigger, and are not very expensive compared to other lightweight rifles.
They are very accurate, and many composite stocks are available, the best naturally from McMillan.
I generally shorten the barrels a bit, and shave some more weight that way.
Beware of composite stocks that are *too* light, they tend to have eggshell bodies, and can get crushed during a fall or when banged against a tree. The MPI featherweight stocks are prone to this, which is why I no longer use them.
McMillans only now.

This is the basis for the LURCR rifle that I built for Rich Lucibella. It was six pounds, 14 ounces with the interchangeable butt pad, light mount, NECG tritium express sights, sling swivels, and scope bases on it, all of which are steel.
More weight could have been saved by using aluminum for these, but the durability and repeat accuracy of the steel mounts was a major consideration.
With the scope, it came in at seven pounds 12 ounces, if memory serves.

I edited this to add that Colt blows.
They get nothing from me or mine from here on out.

[This message has been edited by MAD DOG (edited February 16, 2000).]

my dad hunts with Rifles Inc model 70's:
http://www.riflesinc.com/Lightw.htm

Lightweight 70 - 5 3/4 lbs. This is the lightest rifle available with a control feed action

Action: Winchester Model 70, blueprinted, trued and squared. The bolt is lapped and the face squared

Barrel: Shilen Match Grade Stainless Steel

Muzzlebrake: Rifles, Inc. Quiet Slimbrake

Trigger: fine tuned and adjusted Winchester

Bottom Metal - blind

Metal finish - Matte stainless or black Teflon

Stock: Kevlar/Graphite/Boron. Custom Stock weighs 11 ounces. Hand laminated with unique fore-end. The front sling swivel stud is out on the end of the stock
to keep it out of the way of the shooter's hand.

Stock finishes: Mult-part epoxy. Colors: black, mink, grey, green, granite and camo in black, green or brown.

Recoil Pad - Rifles, Inc. custom

Calibers: Up to 375 H & H

Price $2500.00 Left handed $2650.00

One thing not mentioned yet is caliber. kknud, you're talking elk and mule deer so I'm thinking .270 at least. I've shot a few of these light weights and some can be brutal. I've never shot one as light as 5.4lbs., I can imagine. IMO I like a bit heavier rifle for those heavier calibers. I don't have recoil in the back of my mind. Maybe I'm just a wuss. I own a Ruger77RL in a .243 and just love it. I think it weighs a little over 6 and it's topped with a compact 3-9 Leupold, but it's a .243, no recoil. Sometimes though I thinks it's too light, if that's possible. It shoots great from a bench, but when shooting offhand I can shoot my Sako .270(which weighs about 3 lbs. more) way better. I think it's the weight that helps balance.

------------------

There are several third party manufacturers that make "ultra light" rifles from off the shelf rifles. I hadn't heard that Ultra light arms had been purchased by Colt - they were (are) one of the best known.

A few others are Brown and Rifles Inc. (mentioned above). If you can get your hands on some back issues of RIFLE magazine, they feature lots of such weapons.

Drawback of all these is that they're pretty expensive ($1500 and up).

Most of the manufacturers are making pretty light rifles nowadays. Ruger, Winchester, Browning, and Remington all offer "light" rifles.

I shoot a Remington Mountain Rifle in .280 with a Leupold 2.5-8 scope. Can't say enough about it. Good shooting, light rifle. I use it mostly for deer, elk on occasion.

If I had it to do over again, I would look hard at the same rifle with a short action cartridge - 7-08 or .308, probably. The new .260 looks good, too, though getting pretty marginal for elk. With any of these cartriges, the next size down in scope (1.5-6, or thereabouts) would probably be appropriate.

Rifle weight reductions adhere to the law of diminishing returns: the first several ounces is relatively cheap, but trimming more gets real expensive, real fast.

Good luck. :cool:

Back