Colt Lawman MK III info

westex

Today at a local show I stopped at a out of town friends table to BS awhile and while talking I picked up a pretty shiney revolver. The more we talked the better this heavy chunk of metal felt in my hand. To make a long story short I plunked down $230 for this Colt Lawman MK III.

Being a long time semi type guy this is the first revolver I've owned in 25 years. I just bought it because it felt good in my hand, was so pretty and I like the feel of the trigger.

If I shoot it and like it I may keep it for my bedside companion or for my RV travels.

Can anyone tell me if what I bought is a good piece of equipment and anything about it? I don't intend to carry it - not after becoming accustomed to my Kel-Tec P-11. It was just love at first feel and I was in a weakened condition (heading for the door and not having sold, bought or traded for anything):(

Owned two Trooper MKIII's back in the 70's and early 80's. Heavy trigger, nice finish, more massive than the M19, coiled mainspring, good ergonomics for me. Triggers were lighted with a Bullseye spring kit. Handled any ammo with ease. Carried the 4" in the bush, but honestly practiced more with the 6". Sold both to finance temporary love affair with HiCap 9mm auto's when the Corps went to the M9. Great weapon and would buy another if I could find one under $350 in my area of PA. HTH.
SgtMag13
Semper Fi

I just recently bought one and love it. I paid $249 which was a good deal, you did even better. :D
It is a nice piece and you should be very happy with it.

Very nice

I bought mine about a year ago from a semi man that just couldn't get used to the feel, but it has never been anything but a rock for me

I think you'll like it

In the late 60's, Colt decided to replace the increasingly expensive to make Colt "I" frame guns, (Official Police, Trooper, Officer's Model Match, etc). The new design was the "J" frame, which was perhaps the first modern transfer bar design. Virtually every revolver design since is essentially just a version of Colt's design.

The first gun out was the Trooper Mark III, followed by the Lawman series. These were to be Colt's "popular priced" guns, with the "I" frame Python the "premium" gun. later models in this series were the Metropolitian Police, Official Police MK III, Officer's Model Match MK III, Trooper MK IV/V, and the King Cobra, among others.

These are first rate guns, with quality that's amazing today, considering that they were the "cheap" guns in Colt's lineup. You're gun may benefit from a reduced power mainspring and trigger return spring. For some reason, not many options were available in grips for the "J" frame guns. Pachmayer makes one Presentation model, and Hogue offers wood models. Several makers offer speed loaders to fit, since the King Cobra is the same basic gun.

The Lawman will take unlimited Magnum loads with no problem, and should be very accurate.

You've got a real keeper, that'll serve the need for your Great grand kids. Ya done good.

I bought a Lawman Mk III (2" barrel) about twenty years ago. It was my first handgun. I still have it. I plan to hang on to it. It's a quality piece and I have total confidence in its reliability and accuracy. It handles .357 magnum loads well. You could do a lot worse as a nightstand home defense gun.

Back