Colt Kodiak - front stuffer?

aussie bob

G'day,

I have bought a Pedersoli Kodiak double rifle in .54 calibre. :D In discussion, a few days ago, a dealer said to me this was the Colt Kodiak. I searched the web but can find very little on the Colt Kodiak. :confused:

Pedersoli's catalogue lists the metallic cartridge Kodiak as a Colt Kodiak but do not make the same statement in the description for the muzzle loading version. This raises my question.

Was the Kodiak in fact a Colt or Colt designed firearm?
Was the original a front stuffer or metallic cartridge rifle?
Was there in actual fact a Colt Kodiak black powder muzzle loader?
Was the interchangeable shotgun barrels a Colt option as well?

I would appreciate some information in general on this firearm. If you have any paper or electronic references I can buy or look up I would appreciate the information on how to access them.

Cheers from down under
Aussie Bob

The only Colt Kodiak I know of was a .44 Magnum revolver that was made in limited numbers (2000 or so) in 1993. I am willing to be corrected, but AFAIK Colt does not make any muzzle loading rifles and the only "Kodiak" I can find in the 2005 Gun Digest is imported into the US by CVA (it may be made by Pedersoli, but the short description does not say so). It is a "modern" muzzle loader, using the No. 209 ignition.

HTH

Jim

The Pedersoli BREECHLOADING Kodiak somewhat resembles a Colt 1878 double rifle. A VERY few double rifles were made on the action of the 1878 Colt hammer double shotgun. I have read that most were for friends of Col Colt's son Caldwell.

Colt did not call it a Kodiak, that is a modern trademark of Pedersoli.

I have never seen any reference to Colt making a caplock muzzleloading double shotgun or rifle.

I have not heard of an interchangeable barrel shotgun-rifle set on the original Colt double, but if you were one of Caldwell Colt's friends you could probably have had it.

I think your dealer is misinformed or is engaged in excessive salesmanship, to put it as nicely as possible.

Back