Colt King Cobra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espresso

A local gunshop is selling a NIB stainless King Cobra. Its one of the older versions without the frame drilled and tapped for a scope base. The price is $ 275. I have a Python and Korth already but don't want to use these as working guns. I don't read much about this gun here. Is it worth the money? Are they junk guns prone to breakage? Or are they rugged enough that no one has any problems with them so nothing is written about them? Comments apreciated.

A recent Gun Tests magazine article rated a newer King Cobra very high. In fact, overall it beat the Ruger and Smith&Wesson they were testing . However , no two guns are exactly alike even consecutive serial numbered pistols of the same make and model. Also , does the gun fit YOUR hand and fill YOUR needs and look good to YOUR eye. A medium size .357 magnum revolver with adjustable sights and at least a 4" barrel has a lot going for it. One that is made from a rust resistant metal and is backed by a major U.S. manufacturer should be a good deal at that price. The King Cobra has an action which should be less delicate than that of the Python. Sales must not have been great (maybe because the gun magazines didn't hype it as well as others) due to the rumor that Colt will stop making it, perhaps to expand their D-frame lineup. Or so I have read.

While it doesn't have the unbiased opinion of Gun Tests, G&A tested Colt, S&W, and Ruger about a year ago. The upshot was the Ruger was more accurate than the Smith, and Colt was bottom of the heap. My new Colts, including my Python have given me nothing but trouble. My DS-II is a real lemon and the lockwork is nearly identical to the King Cobra (they come with the same manual). It goes out of time easily from internal slop.

Exspresso,

My first gun was a Colt King Cobra 357 6" blue. I thought it was a fine pistol, until I started shooting mmore regularly and until I bought some S&W revolvers. The Colt is lacking in any refinement in comparison. OTOH it is a LOT cheaper.

I won't throw my Cobra away, but I won't ever shoot it again unless times change.

Espresso,
Sorry it took so long to reply . :o

It was the January 1999 issue of Gun Tests that reviewed the Colt King Cobra .

That article evaluated the Ruger GP-100, Smith & Wesson Model 686 and the Taurus Model 689VR, also.
The Jan.'99 magazine deals with six-inch barreled revolers.

It apears a September 1997 article of Gun Tests magaine compares the 4" versions of the Colt, S&W, and Ruger. Looks like back issues can be obtained by calling 1-800-424-7887. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back