Colt King Cobra

eotp

Yesterday at a local gun show I saw a Colt King Cobra with a 6" barrel which had a ventilated rib on it. I have never seen a ventilated rib on a King Cobra. I know that this feature is usual or standard on a Python, but all King Cobras that I have previously seen had a solid (non-ventilated) rib. Has anybody else seen a ventilated rib on a King Cobra?

You know, this gun seems vaguely familar. I think Colt made a Boa
that may be this model. I only saw one or two, and it was years ago. If someone recognizes the Boa as something else, let us know.

Lone Star

There is an Anaconda the .44 mag version, and the king cobra the .357 mag version. Someone mentioned that these are based upon the highway patrolman model, and use MIM internal parts and less hand fitting, and are not as smooth as the Python.

Boa

According to the 2001 Standard Catalog of Firearms (11th ed.), the Boa was manufactured only in 1985. 1,200 of them were made that year. It is described as being "basically a deluxe version of the Trooper MK V" which indeed did have a ventilated rib. It was a high polished blue and did not have the full length shroud underneath the barrel for the ejector rod that both the Python and King Cobra models have. My gun is stainless steel and clearly has the King Cobra name (and emblem) on the barrel; it also has a ventilated rib on top of the barrel, and it is this feature that I have not seen on any other King Cobras.

Pythons, King Cobras, and Anacondas

The Colt Python was introduced in 1955 and it has a barrel with a ventilated rib on top and a full-length shroud for the ejector rod underneath. It usually carries a fairly significant price. In 1986 Colt began manufacturing the King Cobra which was designed to resemble the Python, but it could be offered to consumers for a lower price because Colt incorporated certain cost-cutting design features. One of these features that has been obvious and well known is that the King Cobra has typically had a solid-rib barrel as opposed to the Python's ventilated rib. Again, it is this feature (a ventilated rib) on my newly purchased King Cobra that I have not seen on any other King Cobras that I have ever seen either in person or in pictures. Both the Python and King Cobra are .357 magnum revolvers.

The Anaconda is a .44 magnum revolver that Colt began producing in 1990. It, like the Python, also has a ventilated rib on top of its barrel.

I remember (I think) reading a few years ago that a limited number of King Cobras were made with a vent rib barrel. I also remember something about o few King Cobra's with a Python barrel.

Does your's have the standard curved muzzle profile of the Corbra, or the flat profile of the Python?

Python Barrel on King Cobra

Dfariswheel, you have apparently solved this puzzle.

My King Cobra actually has a Python barrel on it! I was so fixated on the ventilated rib (thinking how this alone made it look like a Python) that I missed the fact that the other features of the barrel were also different from the standard KC barrel and that they were like that of the Python. However, the King Cobra name and emblem are on this barrel; otherwise, by just looking at this gun, you would think that it is a stainless Python.

I failed to mention above that the barrel is ported; at the end of the barrel there is one slit parallel to the rib on each side of the front sight. These ports can also be easily overlooked when 1st viewing the gun (in fact, I did overlook them since they truly are not very conspicuous). This gun has very little recoil and is extremely easy to shoot accurately. The double action trigger pull isn't bad either, but it probably doesn't match that of a true Python. I should know fairly soon though because I have sent payment for a 6" blue Python and I should receive it in a week or so. When I get it, I'll be able to directly compare the two.

I wonder how many King Cobras were made with Python barrels. Dfariswheel, do you (or anybody else reading this) know the answer to this, or where I might find the answer?

Don't know how many, but a call to Colt sometimes gets answers over the phone. Otherwise you'd have to spend the bucks for the Colt research letter. I didn't hear about them having ported barrels. Probably very few made.

The trigger action of the "J" frame King Cobra is totally different than the Python. Some people don't like the different feel of the Python action, but when you get used to it, it feels somehow "right"

Back