Colt is Back

Civilian

I just read that Colt will be re-introducing their Python and Anaconda revolvers. For more info:
shotshowreports.com/page3.html

WOW. Awesome, should be a great for those of us who don't want to pay a premium for these revolvers. I'm interested if there will be any changes to the Python. (Fired the Anaconda, didn't care for it).

I'm sure they will bring back the Blued version. It will just be called a custom shop job and cost an extra $1000. So much for doing things right just for the sake of it when you can squeeze a few more dollars for doing it wrong.

Ahhh....if new parts are available, I suggest the following:

bolt, bolt spring, cylinder release spring, cylinder release nylon buffer (x2), mainspring.

If you really get paranoid, add in a rebound lever.

A couple of years ago (before Colt completely dropped DA revolvers) a local shop had the Colt sales reps in for a "show". They also had a factory armorer who would check out their guns for you and the shop was offering free cleaning for any Colt products brought in that day. I wandered down to look. They had a nice new Custom Shop blued six inch Python (and it was pretty). The action didn't compare to the 1961 Python I brought with me for the armorer to look at (no problems found - and he tried to buy it). I did have fun with the guy doing the cleaning though. I walked up and asked him if he was cleaning ALL Colt guns. He said sure so I handed him an original 1849 Pocket Model .31 caliber percussion gun. He took one look and gave it back saying he didn't have any idea how to clean that. Then the various Colt reps passed it around for about 15 minutes.

Anyone have any idea of a ballpark figure for a new Python? I wasn't into firearms when Colt was producing them and have no idea of what they would charge for a factory product (not custom). Thanks in advance...

Swell. My nickle Python is on its way right now. I hope the new Pythons are more than $800, and I hope nickel finish is not a factory option. Otherwise, I'll be just a bit ticked at myself.

Dick

D-frames

I'd like to see Colt reintroduce the D-frames, and not just the "Magnum Carry," but the lighweight, graceful Cobra .38 as well.

I would love to see the Diamondback brought back. This is one to the sweetest wheelguns ever manufactured. I would round out my collection with one of each! How about a 2-1/2" barrel in .38 special?!!

I just spoke with a customer service rep at Colt. She said the Python is in limited production as a Custom Shop gun - didn't know of any plans to put it in regular production.

Hope she's wrong...

The only Colt I own is a 4" royal blued Python of unknown date of manufacture that I bought at a gun show for $515 in unfired pristine condition. It shoots wonderfully and the quality is so good I doubt I'll try to expand my Colt collection with a wannabe, overpriced Custom Shop swindle.

SS

Leaves me just kicking myself...

... for every time I looked at a Python in the shop I worked at, said "maybe next time", and let it go. :(

A guy calling himself the "General Foreman for Handguns", or something to that effect, is posting at 1911forum.com, and he said the 6" stainless (Python)is the only version available for now. He also said the Magnum Carry might come back, or we might get some of the .380 autos instead.

Back