Colt in .25 ACP??

Swamp Yankee

Friend at work was showing me some pictures of a Colt pistol he inheritted from his Grandmother. It's a single action semi with a bright nickel finish, and black grips. Caliber is 25 ACP. Never heard of a Colt in .25 ACP before. It appears to be in very good to excellent condition based upon the photos. He said it was stamped US Government. Any idea as to what this little cutie is? Any idea as to what it's value is?
As always, Thanks in advance for the responses.
Take Care

If it's the .25ACP, and it's stamped as US Property, it's probably one of the few 1908's that were so stamped, or perhaps a fake, hard to say. Is this the pistol?

Colt_1908.jpg

If it's bright nickle and stamped US property, I'd bet that it's either a fake, or has been nickled sometime AFTER it fell into private hands.

If that is the case, it destroys much of the value.

Thanks Guys

You are indeed correct that's the gun. I got a peak at it today at lunch. It is marked US Property, not US Government. The plating job is very good, so if it was done after the fact, whomever did it certainly knew what they were doing.
I referrred my friend to a shop owner I trust that does firearms estate appraisals.
Much obliged for your time, assistance, and information.
Take Care

It's a shame that someone nickeled the gun, because an original US Property 1908 would be worth a significant sum. In excellent condition, my book has them at $2500, but after refinishing, it's value has been cut to perhaps 15-20% of that, or less.

I can't bring up John's picture.
If it is a 1908 Vest Pocket Hammerless, could be nickle and marked U.S.Property..........Fjestad.

Single action ? Hammer showin, oh well.

Sam

I kinda' doubt that any of the US Property ones were nickel, I've never seen any reference to that being the case. The Blue Book doesn't actually say any nickeled ones were so marked, it just makes a note about value if so marked at the end of the description of the 1908 .25. It would be interesting if anyone had a definitive reference to say, one way or the other. :)

Back