Colt Government

dontcatchmany

I am a Gunaholic.

I have 4 45 acp pistols among a slew of other semis and revolvers and AR/AK pistols.

Why I want another 45 acp I will never know. I have three exceptional 45s (FNX 45, two Shield 45s) and a very good one (Bersa).

But for some reason I find myself looking at the Colt Government.

For those of you who may have them, what do you think of them? Are they very accurate and are they reliable? Do they have a safety on the right side (I am left handed)?

The only 1911 style gun I have is a GSG 1911-22 and it is a pita to take down and put back together.

What are your impressions on the Colt Government?

I have one, it does what it’s suppose to. If I were to buy one today I would save a couple of hundred dollars and buy a Springfield, I prefer the parkerized finish over the blued for durability.
As for the safety, it is on the left side but you could replace it with an ambi safety.

Last edited:
dontcatchmany said:
Are you asking about a genuine Colt Government Model, which is a model of 1911-pattern pistol produced by Colt roughly 100 years ago, or are you asking about current or modern production 1911s (or Colt 1911s) in general?

Modern 1911s are extremely reliable and very accurate. For many bullseye shooters a 1911 is the pistol of choice for the centerfire portions of the match because there probably isn't a handgun anywhere in the world whose trigger compares with the 1911 trigger.

By design the 1911 only has a left-side thumb safety. However, any 1911 can be easily converted to an "ambidextrous'( bi-lateral) safety. Brownells offers several brands.

I am a Gunaholic.
(the crowd responds) Hi, dontcatchmany.
. . . . But for some reason I find myself looking at the Colt Government.

For those of you who may have them, what do you think of them? Are they very accurate and are they reliable? Do they have a safety on the right side (I am left handed)?

The only 1911 style gun I have is a GSG 1911-22 and it is a pita to take down and put back together.

The danger in talking about "1911s" is that they're made by so many manufacturers, each of which might make minute changes to the design. If you only want to talk about Colts, I'm afraid that I won't be much help. If you want to talk about 1911s generally, I do have a little information, although not much.

I've had 3 and am down to 2. All have had 5" barrels, so they're "government model." One is a Colt Series 70 that I recently had to have restored after some years (probably a couple of decades) of neglect. I haven't shot it yet.

The other 2: One was a Springfield Armory GI model that ran like a top for the 3 weeks that I owned it. Then it was stolen. The other started life as a Springfield Armory GI model identical to the first, but it didn't run all that well at first. Fortunately, I have a buddy who is a gunsmith. Don't ask me what he did, because I don't really know. In any event, it's a beast now. I could count the number of malfunctions I've had on one hand, regardless of ammo. Milsurp ball? Fine. HP? Fine. It does. Not. Care.

IMHO, the 1911 is a little more fiddly than the modern plastic fantastics. You have to pay closer attention to maintenance and lubrication. The trade-off is that the 1911 comes with the gold standard of triggers. It fits my hand like nothing else and points very naturally for me. I also shoot it easily better than any other pistol I own. It even makes me look like a pretty danged good shot.

Aguilla Blanca,

I really do not know much about 1911 style pistols. I carried one (I think a Colt) in Vietnam twice. Never had any familiarization with it. Never fired it.

I saw one on the hip if the armorer at my local gun store. I asked if I could fondle it and he removed the mag and cleared the chamber (he was loaded with 45 Super) and handed it to me. I liked the feel of his Colt Government. Got me interested in that particular gun so I thought I would ask here.

Not looking to purchase, but I have been known to establish a "need" for a weapon. It would be the longest barreled semi that I have ever purchased so I am beginning to establish that need...lol.

I will check out the Springfields.

I have not looked at any other 1911 type of weapon. But I probably will.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Last edited:
I have serval and one is a fairly recent purchase of a Colt Government size the model is the Competition Pistol. You may want to check out the Series 70 if you want that classic look and feel.

Currently have 6 in my collection. 1 Colt, 2 Kimbers and 3 Dan Wessons.
Probably have owned over a dozen Colts in my lifetime, either sold or traded them for something else I desired at the time. The one exception my series 70 Gold cup, purchased about 45 years ago. Every once in a while somebody gets it right. JMB did it more often than any other. All modern semi's are a variation of his original invention.
Of all the modern designs I have tried the 1911 is the one I always revert back to.
It's that good.

dontcatchmany said:
I saw one on the hip if the armorer at my local gun store. I asked if I could fondle it and he removed the mag and cleared the chamber (he was loaded with 45 Super) and handed it to me. I liked the feel of his Colt Government. Got me interested in that particular gun so I thought I would ask here.
If it was chambered in .45 Super, it was customized. I don't think Colt ever sold 1911s in .45 Super.

Colt still makes a Government model, and it happens to be one of their most affordable models. It is not, however, their only 1911 model -- far from it.

https://www.colt.com/series/TRADITIONAL_SERIES

I am a Gunaholic.

I have 4 45 acp pistols among a slew of other semis and revolvers and AR/AK pistols.

Why I want another 45 acp I will never know. I have three exceptional 45s (FNX 45, two Shield 45s) and a very good one (Bersa).

But for some reason I find myself looking at the Colt Government.

It is no big trick to add an ambidextrous safety if it does not have one. I have had one Government Model Series 70, two 70's era Colt Combat Commanders, one in .45 ACP, the other in .38 Super, One fairly recent Colt XSE Combat Commander in .45 ACP. The first two were very reliable, especially the "seventyish" Colt Combat Command in .45 ACP.

I have a colt competition in 38 super--magnificent handgun but like my Browning rifles, I'm afraid to use it for fear of marring the finish.:D

I have only one Colt made in the last fifteen years, and it's a good one.
I've made a few mods to suit me, but what 1911 owner doesn't?
Mine is a "1991", which is very G.I., so no ambi safety, but Colt has made ambi-equipped guns for many years, so if you don't want to install one, you can easily find a gun with an ambi safety.

I have 3 Government Model Series 70. I am also, left handed.

I bought the first one new in 1975, the other two I bought used.

They are all accurate and function quite well.

I shoot mostly home cast bullets in them for prolly the last 35 years.

My favorite bullet used to be one made by Speer and it was nicknamed the ashtray. They don't make 'em any more.

If you want a Colt, I highly recommend the Series 70s. They are still available used and Colt still offers them new with MSRP of $899.00.

https://colt.com/detail-page/colt-70-govt-45-acp-5-71-double-diamond-rosewood-grip-blued

I currently have 13 1911's dating from 1914 up through 2014. To be honest, all shoot about the same. My newest Government Model was made in 2012 and in the 7+ years I have owned and shot it, it has been flawless. I know you will hear all sorts of opinions on the earlier trigger system (it predates the original Series 70 pistols by 59 years) vs the Series 80, but in reality, I have found there to be very little difference in how the triggers feel between them on stock guns. If for some reason you just can't stand having the firing pin block in a Series 80, it takes all of about 10 minutes to remove it.

Among my small herd of 1911's, the best trigger is in my '74 Gold Cup (no surprise), but a very close second is the trigger in my 1994 vintage Officers Model that still retains the complete Series 80 firing pin safety mechanism. Honestly, the worst trigger is in my 1942 US Property Colt.

To answer your question directly, The current Colt's are fine guns and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I were you. They do not come with a left side safety, but they are widely available and easy to install.

I have a Colt Government Wiley Clapp version. It is the best made “factory” 1911 I have ever seen. Parts are made to spec. Works well. Good trigger.

Good accuracy for a stock pistol.

I would buy another Colt.

Lots of folks talk about modifications....why? Are you going to shoot and enjoy? Carry? Use for hard use at work?

Just shooting at the range, the safety is mostly unused. Why modify?

Mine has a checkered grip. If I shoot one much, that is a nice addition.

If I were going to use one hard, I would buy a Dan Wesson.

My guns get used. I have only one safe queen and that is a cruddy piece of crap Gluck 27.
The only reason I keep it is to tear it apart and try to figure out how to make it work for more than a couple of mags without it malfunctioning. I will never buy another gluck.

The colt, if it proves to be a reliable gun, would become a winter carry. I have zero guns that are to only look at.

If it was chambered in .45 Super, it was customized. I don't think Colt ever sold 1911s in .45 Super.

[/url]

A gun does not have to be 'chambered' in 45 Super to shoot 45 Super, nor does it have to be customized.

A 45 Super is just a 45 Auto with more gunpowder. 45 Super brass is stronger to handle the pressure better in unsupported chambers, but the external dimensions are the same as 45 Auto.

I can't say what the armorer did or didn't do with his 45, but he might simply have put 45 Super ammo in it without doing anything else to the gun.

Sure, it's recommended to make changes to handle the 45 Super's increased recoil so it isn't so hard on the gun, but not everyone does, especially if they're just going to shoot a few rounds.

I have had very good experiences with Colt, Springfield, and Dan Wesson for 1911s. All make quality guns for their respective price points.

74A95 said:
A gun does not have to be 'chambered' in 45 Super to shoot 45 Super, nor does it have to be customized.

Sure, it's recommended to make changes to handle the 45 Super's increased recoil so it isn't so hard on the gun, but not everyone does, especially if they're just going to shoot a few rounds.
Because the .45 Super operates at much higher pressure than the .45 ACP, pistols intended for .45 Super have different barrels, providing full head support for the case. Most also use a different firing pin, to alleviate primer flow resulting from the higher pressure.

Yes, the cartridge dimensions are the same as the .45 ACP, but just dropping .45 Super into a standard 1911 is not recommended.

I went cheap, no regrets

There are right at a zillion and one 1911 clones. Mostly coming from The Philippines and Turkey.
The 1911 was conspicuous by it's absence in my accumulation. Collection implies a theme, there is no theme, thus I have an accumulation.
My younger brother raves about the 1911, usually when I listen to my younger brother, I get in trouble one way or the other.

He just hates it that I shoot better than he does. But I did enjoy putting a few through his 1911. So it was time to see what all the love was about.

But remember what I said, I hedged my bet and bought the least expensive 1911 I could find. I bought the Tisa's from Bud's late last year. This one was advertised as their tactical trigger model. It was less than 350.....

It is a great gun, not a great gun for the money, just a great gun. Trigger is sweet. Had a couple of failure to return to battery in the first few mags, it has since settled down and is reliable now. Finish appears to be paint, but is well applied paint. All and all I recommend it.

And now I know. That big ol hunk o steel is special.

Because the .45 Super operates at much higher pressure than the .45 ACP, pistols intended for .45 Super have different barrels, providing full head support for the case. Most also use a different firing pin, to alleviate primer flow resulting from the higher pressure.

This is incorrect. The only gun for which a new barrel is recommended is Glocks, and it is because they have poor chamber support. You certainly can replace the barrel of other guns, and some say you should, but you don't have to according to the folks who know the cartridge and guns. The 45 Super brass is strengthened so it can be fired in a standard chamber (Glock being the exception). That was the whole point of the 45 Super brass, and to have to not use 451 Detonics Magnum brass.

Garey Hindman (son of Ace Hindman who ran Ace Custom who did conversions for 45 Super) says the 45 Super brass is strong enough to be fired in unsupported 1911 chambers. He notes that 45 Super cases bulge in a Glock barrel, though does not think they are at risk of rupturing.

Fernando Coelho (founder of Triton Cartridge and creator of 450 SMC) insists on replacing the factory Glock barrel with an aftermarket barrel that offers better case support when shooting the 45 Super/450 SMC.

Hindman still sells a conversion kit for 1911s. It does not include a barrel. Components are; guide rod and and buffer system with dual recoil springs, heavy duty firing pin and firing pin spring, heavy duty extractor, extended ejector, oversize firing pin stop, a 7-round 1911 magazine. Machine work is required for proper fit of components. I can post/PM his contact information if desired.

Back