Colt Frontier Scout Duo Tone .22

FunGramps

I really like the looks of this aluminum alloy and steel combo on the Colt Frontier Scout, but have never owned one. As par for today, outrageous prices are the norm, and this one is no exception.
Please share with me your experience with this gun if you've owned one. With the cost as it is, I'd probably be hard pressed to fire it, but rather put it in the collectable category. Think I'd be more comfortable plinking with an old H&R. :)

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...nish-exc-cond-in-the-box.cfm?gun_id=101583854

I had one, a two tone Scout, in the early 90's. Bought it used, think it was $135 or so. Accurate, but it wasn't anything special, the alloy frame had a cheap feel to it. I sold it after a few years. If you are looking for a shooter .22, the Ruger Single Six or Uberti Stallion are better guns in my opinion.

Now the Colt New Frontier or Peacemaker in .22, that's a whole different level of quality, with a price to match.

Last edited:
I have a Colt Frontier Scout 22LR with a 4 3/4 barrel and it is a smooth shooter. I haven't shot it in a few years. I picked it up used many, many years ago. My Dad's was one of the first revolvers I ever shot, his has both cylinders with the styrofoam/wood looking box with the sleeve for his.

If I wanted to get a quality 22 revolver for todays money it would be another Ruger Single Six or even a Single Seven. They come in many different configurations and are a nice revolvers. I wonder if the Wrangler revolvers would be todays comparable comp to the Colt Frontier Scout?

The Scout I had, reminded me of an old FIE Texas Ranger I had in the mid 80's, which is quite similar to the .22 single action Rough Riders currently made in Florida. Not bad little revolvers for the money.

There used to be one of those Colt 2-tone Frontier Scouts at the range where I shoot. I don't recall whether it belonged to the range owner or the gunsmith but, as I haven't seen it since the gunsmith passed away, I'm inclined to think it was his.

My reaction to it was decidedly "Meh." I wasn't impressed. It was Colt's attempt to make a low-cost, entry level .22 revolver -- the same approach that Ruger has taken with their new Wrangler. I have no interest in the Wrangler, and I had no interest in the Frontier Scout. Not that the offer was ever proposed, but there's no way I would have ever swapped my Ruger Single Six for the Frontier Scout. The Frontier Scout just looked and felt "cheap" to me.

I put the Colt Frontier Scout revolvers in about the same class as the Heritage Rough Rider's today. Maybe a bit better, especially finish wise, but basically the same gun. That's not a bad thing. I've got a Heritage, and think it's a decent little knock around gun. The Frontier Scout is also.

Unless I had a REALLY nice one, with the box and papers, I don't see much collector value to them.

The steel frame Colt Peacemakers and New Frontier 22's are in a totally different class as stated above.

I own a Scout and a New Frontier-- enjoying both with both 22lr and 22mag cylinders. FYI the upside to the New Frontiers are the target sights while the Scout is a primitive valley.

.02 David :)

That price is a bit high to me,,,

That price is a bit high to me,,,
But that's only a personal thing,,,
I'm thinking to me.

I own one of those pistols,,,
lucille-lr.jpg

It has sentimental value so that skews my appraisal,,,
It was my Mom's who owned the pistol,,,
I simply inherited it.

Now having said that,,,
It's a an incredible shooting handgun

There was an incredibly unsubstantiated rumor on the web,,,
That the barrels were made on the same machinery,,,
As the Colt Pythons barrels of the same vintage.

All I can tell you about mine is,,,
A family friend of ours use to borrow Moms pistol,,,
He competed in a Ham/Turkey shoot every couple of weeks.

We always had ham and turkey in our freezer,,,
Was it the Indian,,,
Or the arrow?

If you can aim using cowboy sights,,,
You will find that Frontier Scout up to any task.

Aarond

Back