Colt Dick .38, third gen

Deaf Smith

Ah... got a 3ed gen Colt Dick .38s, SN M44xxx made in '76. All steel.

$400 buckos flat! Real good blue with just a bit of wear. 100 percent tight lockup.

So gents, can it take +P .38s?

Thanks,

Deaf

Colt advised that your DS can handle +P but said every 3,000 rounds or so
it should go back to Colt for inspection.

In other words, practice some with +P but don't make it a +P. IDPA gun. :)

I'd say just watch your timing, cylinder lock up, if you do a lot of double
action shooting even with standard pressure loads.

Since Colt no longer has any new frames or parts, and no longer works on any DA revolvers, its recommended to shoot mostly standard .38 Special ammo for practice, and just enough +P to stay familiar with it.

Load up the +P for "business use".

As above, Colt only rated the steel "D" frame models for "up to" 3000 rounds before needing inspection and possible frame replacement.

The aluminum "D" frame models were rated for up to 1500 rounds, later changed to 1000.

Here's a late version Colt "D" frame owner's manual.
Appropriate ammo and amounts is listed in the manual.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/colt_det...ack,_police_positive,_agent,_cobra,_viper.pdf

That's a pretty good deal. My DS only gets normal .38 special, but it seems solid enough for +p. I just don't like +p personally.

Thanks Dfariswheel!

My plan now is to get Buffalo Bore 'standard pressure' 158gr LSWHP. I figure a 158 at 850 fps from a 2 inch barrel is plenty.

All handloads will be power puff loads.

Now the grips.... They are standard Colt DS 2 inch 3ed gen stuff. Ok but... I would love to see a set of wood grips, kind of like boot grips, but a bit longer in the bottom so my fingers find full purchase.

Maybe something made by Jay Scott.

Deaf

It's got to be me. I just don't understand the hype with +P ammo or +P +P ammo or the folks reloading and want to know HOW HOT they can load before they blow up the gun. I must admit +P is one of the best sales gimmicks that has come along, besides Obama being the greatest gun salesman of all time.

Back