Colt Diamondback - broken firing pin

Status
Not open for further replies.

raven

Inactive
I recently bought a used Diamondback so I could have a revolver in the collection to use for new shooters. Yeah will I guess you can't dry fire these things like a Glock, eh? When cleaning it I cocked back the hammer to clean in there, then I pulled the trigger and let it drop. A little while later I noticed the firing pin is now broken off. Oops. Can I buy that and replace it myself or do I have to take it to a gun smith? If so, what will a gunsmith charge to fix that? It can't be that big of a deal but I can't see them touching a gun for less that $50. Another question. This gun has the little red plastic insert in the front sight. Can I buy a replacement one of those from somewhere or does a smith need to replace that too? The original one is still there, it's just very dirty. TIA

The firing pin can be replaced at home, but you probably won't do as clean of a replacement as a 'smith with the proper equipment. The firing pin on the Colt D-frame is held in place by a solid pin that is swaged on both sides, then surface ground for a near seamless match to the hammer. To remove the retaining pin, you have to grind or drill out one side before the pin can be punched out. So you will also need a replacement for the retaining pin.

I successfully replaced these parts on my Detective Special, but in future, I'd let someone else do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back