Colt Detective

Jeff #111

I'm a police officer and I carry the Sig 220 in .45. But my wife isn't "into" guns. I own both a S&W Model 36 and a Detective Special with the shrouded barrel manufactured in 1973. The DS is a beautiful little gun, but truth be told I don't care for it to much. Prefer the S&W.

My wife hoever is pretty damm effective with that Colt - better then me. She can get some pretty good groups and she can bring it into action very fast. She didn't like the wooden grips though. However she REALLY liked the Pachmayers I found at a local gunshow in Boise. So now the DS is loaded with Hydra Shocks (I trust em) and next to wife's side of the bed. She's a peaceful person, but she loves me and our kids. God help the guy who comes into the house unwanted and uninvited. MAybe it's not very sexy or hi-tech, but it's a fine little house howitzer.

Just thought I would get that in there.

I've always admired the Detective Special.

I had and carried one for a couple of years, but ended up trading it on an S&W Model 36 simply because I had been shooting S&W's for far too long, and I couldn't get used to the pull-back cylinder latch on the Colt.

If I were to run across one in .32 Long, though, I would most likely buy it.

Jeff#111, it is funny that you asked. I opened a thread called:

"Genuine Non-Political Colt Detective Special Question!" under this forum, the revolver forum, thie very night. Don't read it for my questions, read some of the advice. It will help you.

justinr1

Greeting's Again Jeff #111

There's nothing wrong with the Colt Detective Special. However, I would prefer the older
model w/o the enclosed ejector rod, and no
shroud. Other models of that era are the Cobra
and the Agent. I once owned the 14 oz. agent
that I bought LNIB in North Carolina. It was
still in the orginial box with all the paperwork;
orginial selling price was marked outside the box
on the yellow specification strip. Grab your sock's, cuz the original selling price was just
$89.00!!!:D:)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Molon Labe!!!

Colt DS

I actually inherited the Detective along with many other guns from my grandfather. I also have one of the Colt 22 single actions with the "Buntline" barrel and two cylinders, one for 22LR and the other for 22 magnum. Nice little gun. Anyway I love the blueing on the Detective - fantastic. Until I inherited the Colt I had only heard about the deep blue that Colt used to do. The S&W 36 has always been mine - since I was fourteen (33 now), but the Colt my wife likes. Go figure, but she's good.

I`ve had mine 27 years.

Had to reblue it once. I`ll never get rid of it. I prefer it over the 36 which I`ve fired many times. I also prefer the shrouded ejector rod since the unprotected rod on the older model can get bent and will fail to eject.

Jeff 111-when it comes down to it, doesn't really matter what she is good with so long as she is, and is willing to employ it correctly. My wife favors her Officers Model, but is looking really hard at Ruger's SP-101. I've always liked the Dick Special, but she will not look at it because the grip does not feel right. I do feel sorry for the person who breaks into my home if my wife gets there first. She is going to shoot them with one of the 3-45's we have in the house, and then she is going to nag them at length for bleeding on the carpet!

i love my detective special.the only grip i have is the cylinder release catch.i dont care for the way it pulls out insted of push type on all the other revolvers.

I had a DS for years, and while I liked it, I never was very good with it. I always shot my smaller S&W's better. To me it seemed to be ergonomics with the trigger. The DS trigger seemed to be too small for me to get a good grip. I ended up trading it for a S%W Model 66. But I would certainly recommend it to someone to try because it was well made and a good small carry gun. It just depends what fits you best.

I think the enclosed ejector models are the coolest looking snubs ever....suprised Taurus didn't try and knock off this one too...I wish I could justify the money and get one, but i already have a 60 and i have to keep telling myself i don't need a DS......

The name is the only difference I have been able to discern, at least among the original ones, from the 50s and back. They were alloy-framed Dick Specials.

I know I saw a rough finished AGENT, iirc, at a gun show a few years back, new for a much cheaper price than Colt traditionally charged. It must've been one of those assembled from old parts and then parkerized.

As I recall, the Agent had a shorter grip frame, than the Cobra.
The Dick Special always had the reputation of being the highest quality, most accurate snub ever made.

The Colt snubbies are accurate. I read that they have a more favorable twist than the Schmitt und Vessons but can't remember S. Age creepin up.

Greeting's Again Folk's,

Hey Mike Irwin, The major difference between the
Detective Special, Cobra, and Agent is the weight.
Quoting from the "old model" series those are as
follows:

1) Detective Special 21 ozs.
2) Cobra 15 ozs.
3) Agent 14 ozs.

The Colt Agent wasn't offered in nickel; blue only, but it was outstanding. Much like the finish
on the Python's from that era. I don't remember about the size of the grip frame, in comparison
to the Dick Special? Although emaculate, some of
these "little gems" did encounter timing problems.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Molon Labe!!!

My brother and I decided to give our mother a gun. So, we took her to the range and let her try the S&W Chief's Special and an older Colt DS without the ejector rod shroud. Both guns had Pachmayr rubber grips. While she liked the size of the S&W, she found the trigger pull on the Colt smoother and shot better with it. The Colt now resides with her and is loaded with Hyrda Shocks. Two loaded speedloaders and two speedstrips were also provided with the gun.

Parents - you can't love them enough.

Back