Colt Detective Special

JMC

I recently bought a very nice, used of course, older model (long grip frame) Colt Detective Special, 2", .38 Spl.

Does anyone have a reference site for serial number history?
I would like to determine when it was made and don't feel like paying Colt $75.00 for that info. The serial number is 8XXXX0.

Thanks in advance.

Good Luck! I've tried before without much success. FWIW though, on GlockTalk, I posted a similiar question about my Dick Special like yours. My SN was 697XXX, I got one response from a guy that didn't list his source. But he did say it was made in 1957. So I would assume yours is at least newer than that. Mine was the older 2nd issue with exposed ejector rod and simi-circular front sight. Is yours similiar to what I described, or is yours a 3rd issue with the ejector rod shroud and ramp style front sight? If it is a 3rd issue then it was made at least as far back as the early 70s, since thats when they first appeared.

JMC, you Colt Detective Special was made in 1962 and would be considered a post-war or 2nd issue version. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

Thanks everyone for your responses, this is great.

My DS is the exposed ejector rod and semi-circular front sight (slight ramp, serrrated).

It is the model two versions before the "newer" version w/the covered, heavy ejector rod housing. The one in between had an exposed rod but, the grip was reduced in length.

I've had a few over the years but this version is my favorite. I kind of figured it for the '60's.

I looked for an hour but finally, I came up with a set of real stag horn grips that I've had for nearly 35 years for the DS. It really set the gun off nicely.

The best part is that I got the DS for $100.

Back