Colt Detective Special & Python

Postman

Almost 30 years ago, when I was a baby, my father died. He left behind a largish collection of guns. My mother and step-father do not shoot and aside from my inventoring the collection several years back, no one has touched them since he died.

They are stored "away" at my parents house. I can access them, but doing so is very troublesome. I am considering picking up these 2 guns over the holidays.

The NIB Colt Detective Special. This gun is from the late 60s - early 70s. Serial # 644xxx, no ejector shroud, skinny 2" barrel, thin checkered grips, matte blue finish, .38 Special. I have always wanted a snub nose revolver and on many occasions set out to pick up a j-frame S&W.

The NIB Colt Python is from the same time period, late 60s, early 70s. Serial # E48xxx, .357, bright flawless royal blue, 6" barrel, heavy wooden factory checkered target grips.

I believe tehy both have recessed chambers but do not recall with 100% clarity.

My question is, is either gun rare or valuable to the point of saving rather then using it as a carry/range gun?

I`m assuming they`ve both been fired?

I had a nickle 6" in the same series but sold it when I retired.:eek: Yeah, ok. It was a shooter and today you`ll pay $700-1000 for one in nice shape. Shoot it, you`ll like it!

The D/S is a nice gun. I have the later one with the barrel shroud. It was my off duty piece and has 1000`s of rounds through it. I still carry it on occasion. The one problem with the unshrouded version is Colt had complaints that if dropped, the ejector rod could get bent and you couldn`t reload. If it was me, I`d either keep it in the safe for target shooting or trade it for a carry gun. BTW, I`ve dropped mine and I`m glad for the shroud.

Either way, those are two fine guns.:D

If it is the Colt Royal Blue finish on the Python, and it's in pristine shape, it should bring something of a premium, possibly as high as $1,500 or even $2,000, judging by what I've seen at gunshows in Northern Virginia. The amount of polishing and attention that was given to those is pretty staggering.

If the Dick Special has been fired I would use it. If new in the box, it would bring a premium price.
The older Pythons in pristine condition are bringing high prices.

Neither ever had recessed chambers.

If the guns have been fired, I'd keep them to shoot and enjoy. You will never find or be able to afford the like again, if you sell them.

The Dick Special is a great carry gun, and the extra round of ammo is a comfort. Both are classics, and we'll never see their like again. Unless you just want money, keep them.

I dont think you should sell them.

$1500-2000 though for a Python is ludicrous though... I dont know what people in VA are thinking if they are paying that for them.

Royal Blue Pythons NIB in Georgia can be had for anywhere from as low as $750 (if you get lucky). I have seen several lately for around $1000

They Python has a factory target in its box, the detective special does not. As far as I can tell, neither was ever fired. I have no way of documenting that, but they are both in plastic bags in their boxes. The bags are open ended so it is not as if the guns are sealed, but to my unschooled eye, they appear to be brand new.

I want to be able to keep them as shooters. My fear is that they are collectables and that I would ruin them. I have a .357 and I can always buy a Smith j-frame. I happen to like them and would like to keep them as shooters, rather than collectables.

Supply, demand, and what the market will bear, Lonegunman...

Lots of money stupid people here in Northern Virginia. All those AOL millionairs. :)

Greeting's All,

As other's have said, both of these old Colt's
are from a time period whereas quality counted;
and provided they have been fired, I'd keep 'em
and enjoy the pleasure of shooting them. If they
remain unfired and you are a collector, keep 'em
anyway; if not trade them in on other's that may
be on your want list.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Mike Irwin is right about prices. They can vary depending on the region you live in. Come to Kali for the higher prices. Go to Montana, Neb. or any of the Western states where the income is lower and you'll find second hand guns at a lot more reasonable price. Also related to gun prices are the demands of that region.

BTW, those earlier Pythons were better polished that the later ones. I remember when my brother bought his back around '77-78. He compared it to a friend who bought one in the early '70s. Some of the polishing, particuarly around the face of the cylinder was much better on the early gun.

Concerning that DS, the early ones without the shroud have the Python type action. It's actually a Police Positive with a 2" bbl.

Gary,

What I know about Colt revolvers can be fit in to a thimble (and a very small thimble, at that) but I thought that the Detective Special was built on the D frame, and the Police Positive was an O frame?

Mike,

I think otherwise. I'm under the impression that the Police Positive is a rather small gun. The Officers' model are built on the larger "O" frame. Will check one of the books later.

Gary

Mike,

IIRC Police Positive is a Det. Special w/4" barrel (D frame). Offical Police ,Officers Model Match are O frame. Python and Trooper 357 were I frame. Then came the Trooper MKIII, MK V, etc. and I have no idea what the heck they are.

SgtMaj13
Semper Fi

The Colt Dick Special is just a version of the older Police Positive.
The Dick, Viper, Diamondback, Cobra, Agent, etc are all D frame guns.
The Official Police, Trooper, Officer's Model Match, Python, etc are all E/I frame guns.
Trooper MKIII, Lawman, Metropolitian Police, King Copra, etc are J frame guns.
The O frame is the 1911 auto.

Thanks for the clarification, guys. I was confusing the two models of "police" named guns.

As I said, what I know about Colt revolvers (and, quite frankly, what I want to know about them) can really be fit into a very small thimble.

Back