Colt Detective Special & +p Ammo

Postman

I have an old, 2" skinny barrel Colt Detective Special #644XXX, under the serial # there is a 4 and under that 4 there is another 4, several spaces and an M.

Anyone know the age of this gun and whether I can safely fire +p ammo through it?

More genericly, what is the deal with the older Colts, Dick Specials, Cobras and Agents with regard to +p ammo?

Colt switched its small frame revolvers to the heavier barrel with ejector rod shroud in 1972. The newer steel versions were rated for 3,000 rounds of +P before needing to be returned to the factory for a physical. The aluminum models were good for 1,500. Yours was made before +P became the rage, so I'd check with Colt before heading out to the range. Hate to spoil a classic like that. :)

Postman, your DS was manufactured - - -

in 1953, according to Southerland & Wilson, Book of Colt Firearms.

This means it had the benefit of the WW-II and postwar improvements in steel quality control. Also, that was during the heyday of the .38/44 high velocity cartridges, precursors to modern +P loads.

If it were mine, I would shoot it six or a dozen times with my choice of +P ammo (Remington 158 LSWHP +P) to verify the sights. Then I would practice exclusively with standard velocity ammo, either 158 LRN or the 130 FMJ loads, AVOIDING the +P ammo.

If you feel the need to practice with +P ammo, there will be someone (like ME) willing to swap you a heavier/later revolver for it.

Best,
Johnny

The Colt literature of the 1930's - the .38/44 was introduced in 1930 by S&W - DID list the Detective Special and the Police Positive Special for high speed loads. BUT they didn't comment as to how many of these hot rounds could be fired without seeing problems, such as frame stretching, going out-of-time sooner, etc.

For those who don't know, the Police Positive Special was the longer barrelled version of the Detective Spcl. Actually, it was the other way around: the DS came out in, I think, 1926, with a two-inch bbl. Early ones had the square butt of the regular PPS. In 1931 ( I think; may have been 1933) the butt of the snub gun was rounded, and remained round during the remainder of production.

If it was me, I don't think that, after so many years, I'd shoot Plus P in a pre-war (WWII) Colt unless it was an emergency and I had no other ammo. But I don't think the gun would blow up. I do think the rear of the bbl. might crack, as cited by Mr. Guest in regard to the Army Special thread, especially if many rounds were fired.

Those old Colts were sure well made... nice to own.

Lone Star

Back