Colt Det Spl vs S&W 37

Tom B

Took my 70s era Colt Det Spl and my 60s era S&W Mod 37 to the range over the weekend to compare accuracy. Shot them side by side at 15yds using Nyclad 125gr ammo. It was Colt by a head and shoulders! Its been several years since I shot my Colt or any other snubnose but I feel with some more practise I can become very accurate with it even at 25yds.

I had a Detective Special some years ago. While I liked the gun (it even had a Colt-installed shroud), I just couldn't get used to having to pull the latch to the rear to unlock the cylinder after having used Smith & Wessons for so many years.

I ended up trading it back to the dealer from whom I purchased it toward a Model 36 3" with a square butt.

I would, however, LOVE to have a Detective Special in .32 Long, but they're hard to find and damned expensive.

Both are excellent weapons; I would not mind having both.:D
Guess I'm kind'a greety; but I like those little snub-nose
revolver's, as made by Colt and Smith & Wesson.:) All I currently own is the stainless steel old model 60 in .38 Special.:(

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

the D/S will be more accurate due to its larger size (somthing to hold onto) and the longer trigger pull (steadier, less abrupt). the trigger pull should also be smoother due to the use of a leaf spring.

the ultimate d-frame is the diamondback which is very accurate.

Mike, I had a DS 2" unshrouded ejector 32 New Police. It was one of those few but memorable blunders I made. I traded it off because the cylinder latch, shaped like a pawn on it's side with it's bottom end running from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock really ran from 12:30 o'clock to 6:30 o'clock. Fire three shots ( IIRC ) and the now set-back fired case rim would catch on the cylinder latch. It was the '70s, I was in my 20s, and it didn't seem worth putting up with the hassle of getting it fixed.

Tom B, another reason for better accuracy by the Colt is it's faster rifling twist. Colt was something like one turn in 14 inches, S&W one turn in 18 point something inches. Might not be the exact numbers, but close. That was one reason ( during the days of PPC competition when Pythons were bought and shipped unfired to gunsmiths to pull the factory barrels off and replace them with Douglas or other bull barrels ) that with a cheap supply of extra Python barrels they'd fit them to Smith K-frames, creating the legendary Smython to drool over.

Back