Colt Delta Elite?

CastleBravo

There is a chance I might be able to buy a like-new stainless Delta Elite for a "reasonable" price. Basically, I'm pretty ignorant as far as these pistols are concerned. Are Delta Elites any good? I'd like to hear what any past or present Delta Elite owners have to say about them. Thanks.

C.B.

I also have an early version of a Delta Elite. It has been a very good gun for me. I've heard many horror stories about the shock buff disintigrating after a few hundred rounds, etc., etc - yaddah yaddah yaddah. Mine lasted in excess of 5000 rounds, 80-90% of of those rounds were full power loads, not the "minus Ps". I put a full length guide rod in mine, not because it needed it, but because I felt like it. It's accuracy has been adequate, about 2.5" at 25 meters is the best I ever got. Not a tack driver, but I didn't buy it for that, I bought it to drop two-legged malcontents stupid enough to break into my home or hurt my family.

I also had to replace the trigger, sear and hammer. Again, to many full power loads. My hammer started following around round 7000-7500. Since then, I put a 24lb recoil spring in it, and new shock buff. With the other new stuff, it has been awesome ever since. The only reason I carry the Glock 20 & 29 for carry is because of magazine capacity. Though I still like packing the DE on occasion. I really love the gun, and would consider making the above adjustments to it. Mine is a DE1xxxx serial number, and I've had it since 1986. It has survived many of my collection sell-offs, and will continue to if I have any more - God forbid. It's just been too good a gun to get rid of. I sold my P7 over this one - believe it or not.

Tom

Tom

The shok-buffs are sacrificial...

They're intended to gradually give way and flatten or "smush" out, well before 5000 rounds, egad! As they flatten, their shock absorbing properties diminish significantly. The idea was that a cheapy piece of polyurethane would absorb the battering of the slide against the frame, and be economically replaced at regular intervals, precluding more expensive repairs later. Letting one remain for 5000 rounds (yow!), especially in a 10mm with full house loads, sounds like the ultimate exercise in frugality. When I competed with others in IPSC with a full race gun, compensated and using all the available gas pressure from the 155gr Major Power Factor loads, we were replacing them inside of 500 rounds routinely. Recoil springs were also changed out on a regular basis.

It may not have made a difference, but I wonder how long your Delta Elite's lockwork would have survived with regular buffer changes?

I've had one for about a year, and like it a lot. It gobbles-up everything, and looks good doing it. A "reasonable price" for a used DE is what? $600?

Gewer:

You are absolutely wrong - it was NOT an exercise in frugality, it was an exercise in ignorance. When I bought the darn thing I just figured the darn thing would last forever in it's stock configuration. This was obviously before I knew a darn thing about 1911s.

I know better know, and have educated myself on the workings of these things to a fair degree. But when I bought it at agae 21, I really didn't know squat, and literally shot it to pieces.

I've had a couple of armorers look it over and give it a clean bill, but my ignorance could've cost me a lot more. Luckily it didn't.

Tom

A very good gun, and a very versatile round. I owned one of the very early ones for a long time, sold it a few years ago and have regretted it ever since. If you get a decent deal on one jump at it. Do keep in mind the ammo price and figure that into your shooting budget - or just reload. If you get it, I hope you have fun with it.

I use the DE for Limited competition. I use 10 round .45 magazines for this event so that is not a problem. I've had nothing but success (definition: finish matches with no jams or malfunctions) with it. Precision Bullets make a 220 gr. 10mm bullet for reloading which is outstanding. Now it is like shooting a pop gun. The DE is the first gun I've ever owned and will be the one that they pry from my cold dead fingers. I wonder if they will let me be buried with it?

Back