Colt Delta Elite First Edition: Good quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sambonator

Is the Colt Delta Elite First Edition (10mm) one of Colt's finest, or is it in the same league as their more recent semiautomatic pistols? (I've been reading that they're "crap.")

When that gun came out, Colt still had a lot of skilled employees. While I suspect that the quality is there, I am dubious as to whether an unreinforced O frame gun can take a steady diet of hot 10mm ammo. Somebody?

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I got one when they first came out. I loved it. Fit and function were excellent. I enjoyed it so much that I regularly shot about 100 rounds through it every week.

After about four years of this, it was battered to junk. Slide to frame fit was terribly sloppy, I could see quite a bit of slide peening and the plastic guide rods disintegrated on a regular basis (around every 750 rnds or so).

I traded it off. I've owned 2 other Colts, a .380 and a Combat Commander .45, and they were crap.

Just my experience.

------------------
Dan

Si vis pacem para bellum!

Check me out at:
<A HREF="http://www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm" TARGET=_blank>

www.mindspring.com/~susdan/interest.htm</A>
www.mindspring.com/~susdan/GlocksnGoodies.htm

I saw a SS pre "enhanced" model (vertical serrations and mil-spec hammer) that had a very wavy contour on the flats. A definite Monday gun. I'd listen to Gary's opinion about dates for Colt products.

I bought one when they first came out. Did the usual throat/polish, trigger job, beavertail grip safety & MMC fixed sights. I haven't shot it all that much, other than a few hundred rounds of familiarization.

Never had a problem. It seems to me that with the recoil of that cartridge, it's best reserved for social occasions unless you load down to the lesser cartridges, such as 40S&W, 9mm, or .45ACP.

A steady diet of hot loads will batter most anything...

:-), Art

I had one too. Shot crappy groups so I customized the thing. New trigger, Bo-Mar sights, Wilson group gripper and on and on. Then I sold it. If you check the "Blue Book" I think you will find unaltered pieces are bringing a premium and are probably going to me very collectable.

There was a problem with frame cracking on early models. Gun Tests had one crack when they tested it.

I would, if I had one of these, put extra power mag and recoil springs in it, and use a recoil buffer.

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back