Colt Defender...Your views

Timothy

I'm new at this semi arena and need your help. I'm bouncing around like a pin ball mach. I've looked at 9mm, 357 sigs, 40 cal. and originally 45ACPs. I like the 1911 style. I was leaning to a Colt 80 model because somewhere down the line I could play with the 22LR conversion kit but I felt it was heavier than I liked and certainly too big to carry.
Well today I looked at a Colt Defender and really liked it.
Help me! Is it novice friedly or would it not be enjoyable to shoot? Also some of the guys look down their noses at Colt but after all these years, can they be all that bad?
Should I or is it not a good Idea. The pro's and con's please.
Thanks.

I don't know about enjoyable. Any light gun firing the .40 or .45 round is going to have a heavy recoil. This might or might not be unpleasant to you. I suggest that if possible, you arrange a test firing or try to borrow one to try before buying. Colt went through a bad period for quality control, but they seem to have gotten their act together. At this time and in general, I would prefer Colt to any of "clones" on the market today.

Jim

i own several 1911.great guns.i love the way the defender looks and will buy one someday.saw a used one for 600 bucks.not bad gun was in exellent condition.
i say get a defender if you can,the recoil is not bad at all because the gun isnt that light.yes its lighter that a full sized 1911 but not light enough to worry about.
i dont know how farmilure you are with the .45 ACP round but the recoil is really just more of a push that a sharp slap that you feel with say a .40 cal sw.
also the quality of a colt especially a new one is excellent.i only have colt 1911,anything else is just a copy.

Three different members of our IDPA club have owned Defenders in the past - NONE currently do. Although the 1911 design can be absolutely flawless, sometimes when it's taken to the extreme in size and weight it fails to function as it should.

The Defender is a neat looking gun and there may be some that run right out of the box but I haven't met them. With enough good 'smithing, and a good firm grip, they can probably be made to run but these types of super small, super light 1911's are the ones that can let you down when you need them the most. I've tried the all steel Officer's size guns and they are alright if you remember to hang on tight (NO LIMP WRISTS!). But I prefer the Commander and full sized guns.

Just my experience (and opinion)

Mikey

Timothy-Have had a 45 acp Defender since they hit the shelves (couldn't resist it) and have put more than a couple thousand rounds through it (mostly light loaded lead target). It is not exactly "pleasurable" for me to shoot with plus P defensive rounds, which reach over the 1000 fps with 185 gn hps. However there doesn't appear to be many smaller pistols of higher power that are what i call pleasurable.

The Defender (the one have direct experience with) has been reliable with all factory and target loads tried (including Speer's ashtray and 185 gn shortnose lswc), although the accuracy with factory loads is what some call "combat adequate". Mine consistently groups 3-4 inches at 25 yds benched, unless handloads are specialized for it.

This Defender does fulfill a special design purpose in providing a sub-compact 45 acp, for those that desire such things in a familiar format.

The Kimber ultra-carry is much more accurate (couldn't resist it either) and has it's edges are broken.

Back