Colt Defender or Springfield V-10? Opinions anyone? Which is the better gun?

45automan

Hey guys is the Springfield V-10 their version of a Defender? Are they the same size? They seem to be.
Do they both have a full size grip and accept 7rd mags.
Are all V-10 guns ported. Does it have a lot of flash? Does it help with recoil?
Thanks,45automan

Got a V-10, wish I had the Kimber, wouldn't consider another Colt for love nor money.

That number after the V is the number of holes cut in the top of the barrel. I don't recommend those holes on a defensive pistol, as all sorts of interesting things (blast and pieces of hot metal spring to mind) come out and hit you in the face, particularly if you're shooting from the hip. If TSHTF, I'll shoot the V-10 and cry, but I wouldn't have to worry about that if I'd been smart enough to get the Kimber. I also find the Kimber easier to take apart, FWIW, but that ain't universal.

In short, taco is right.

Steve

Well I currently own the Colt CCO which I purchased about 4-5 yrs ago. Without a doubt the finest .45 I have yet to carry. This is the two tone model. Before purchasing I tried a bunch of different .45's and I had owned a bunch of different .45's up to this pistol. I tried Kimber, also owned a Classic, Glock, Sig, Springfield, and Firestar. I have owned 3 Colt .45 acp's one of which was garbage the other 2 I should have kept. I also owned one of the DS VII when they came out(it was crap). The CCO is in my opinion the best of the bunch. It has never jammed and is dead nuts accurate. It didn't have the slide to frame fit the Kimber did, which my buddy ended up buying, but it had a way better barrel and bushing fit and barrel and link pin fit to frame. When you press on the barrel hood there is 0 downwards motion. Even now. It is extremely tight in this regard. The frame to slide fit doesn't really do that much for accuracy but does do alot for reliability. Mine shakes a bit when shaken, not a bad thing when reliability is what counts. I have upwards of 2.5k rds through the gun now but it has yet barf yet. Not once. Accuracy has remained high too. The gun has been left stock with the only alteration being a set of black Colt logo'd grip panels. It has a great carry bevel package on it, and I like the longer slide for the better site radius. Granted this is not the Defender but it only weighs a couple of ounces more with I think better ergonomics on a better slide/frame combo. Hey the ultimate handgun according to some is the lt. wt. officers frame mated to a commander slide. The frame is aluminum with the Colt proprietary T7 titanium. Maybe T6 not sure. I know alot of people bad mouth Colt etc. for what ever reasons. The company I figure is only trying to stay afloat and survive. I love my CCO and in all liklihood not buy another .45acp. That is how much I like this pistol. I will say people are missing out some fine pistols both in the Defender and the CCO. Keep'em sharp

I have to say i would go with the Para Ordnance P-12 .45 the same size gun (little fatter grip) and 12+1 rounds of .45 .....i can't begin tell you how good this gun shoots. PARA ORDNANCE FAN! for life

Back