Colt DA revolvers...

SaxonPig

Everyone is all a twitter over the new Cobra coming out. I am happy to see Colt back in the DA market. They can slap a 4" barrel on the new Cobra and the Police Positive Special is also back in production, no? Maybe this will lead to bigger and better things.

In the meantime, I confess that as a young man I didn't have much use for Colt DA revolvers. I was much more a S&W guy. But about 30 years ago I saw a 22 Officers Model Target at a show and it called to me. For some reason I couldn't put it down. Still have it...and a few more pony guns that found their way into my stable. Here are a couple...

Old model Trooper 357. Well used by the looks of it but it functions perfectly and was worth the $200 the fella was asking for it.

standard.jpg

I actually bought this for my girlfriend about 30 years ago hoping she would develop and interest in shooting. She never did, but she's now my wife and I kept the Colt for myself. So there...

standard.jpg

A couple years ago I became interested in the 32-20 cartridge and acquired a Colt and a S&W in this caliber. The Colt is an Army Special with the barrel cut back to 3". I see a lot of 32-20s with bulged barrels for some reason so I know how this happened. Anyway the shop wanted $159 for it and it looked like too much fun to pass up. I was right. I call it a Detective Special on steroids.

standard.jpg

The last Colt I'll share is appropriately enough a Cobra. Saw it last year at a local show tagged at $375. The nickel finish had peeled in a couple spots but it worked OK and I offered the man $325. Maybe a little too much for the condition but I had never owned a Colt snubby. Now I do.

standard.jpg

Beautiful guns, all of them. I always wanted a Magnum Carry and a Diamondback in .22. They are still on my list and hopefully will find them at not insane prices.

Nice revolvers! I bought a Police Positive in 38 special just recently. I am looking forward to shooting it. I will find out if the trigger is as good as everyone says.

Colt20Army20Special_zpse4xlhn1d.jpg

Last edited:
I found this 1952 Police Positive Special in a local gun shop a few weeks ago. It's chambered in 32 Colt New Police, which is Colt's designation for the 32 S&W Long. I wouldn't have been interested in it had it been a 38 Special, but since I have a couple of 327 magnums, a revolver in 32 S&W Long seemed like a worthwhile addition.

If you bought the Trooper fro $200, it was armed robbery, and he was the one armed.

The Python is basically the original Trooper and 3-5-7 Models with the Python Barrel, a better tuned action, and the Royal Blue finish.
These are often known as "Poor man's Pythons".

I've got two Colt revolvers. I only shoot one of them, as the other is a LNIB Python I can't bring myself to devalue by shooting it.

My shooter is a M1917 made in 1919, chambered (of course) in .45acp.

Im not interested in snub nose revolvers. I like big, heavy wheelguns.

Back