Colt DA question

UltimaThule

Did Colt ever make a DA .38 (probably D-frame) called "Police Special"? I can't find any definitive information or pictures. I think there was an "Official Police", could that be the source of some confusion?

Can anyone help?

(It's actually work related, trying to get things right in the media for once :) )

you might have a "police positive special", often called the police positive (i believe the "special" comes from the chambering in .38 special)

they are built on the d-frame (det spcl, cobra, agent, diamondback) early ones had the exposed ejection rod. sometime in the 70's, the had some police positives and vipers (alloy frame) with shouded rods.

the "officail police" was a much larger gun...python sized

Bugs me, too.
I have no recollection of or reference to a Colt "Police Special." .38 revolver.
They have made at one time or another:
Police Model (1862 C&B)
New Police (two different guns)
Official Police
Police Positive
Police Positive Special
Not to mention others with LE terminology:
Marshal
Officer's Model
Border Patrol
Agent
Detective Special
Trooper
Lawman
Peacekeeper

S&W has had to scrape by with:
Military and Police
Regulation Police
Highway Patrolman
Chief's Special
to give them a LE connection.

I don't doubt there is a Police Special out there someplace, but I cannot tell and do not believe that there has ever been a model of that exact name from Colt or S&W. No matter what the newspapers and detective novels say.

Thanks. It's probably a late model Police Positive or a Detective Special. Trouble is I haven't seen it. Solved the problem by being vague :)

Back