Colt Customs Service Commerative Gov't Model

Trevor

I recently came across a Colt Gov't Model that is a commerative issue for U.S. Customs Service. It is a 70 series but manufactured in 1989. It has a wooden display box and a Customs Service badge that matches a number on the pistol (although the serial number is different). The asking price is $1300. The pistol is mint. Any comments or knowledge on this pistol and its origins would be welcomed. Also, I am told it is now illegal to have Federal badges, even those never issued. Would it okay to acquire one as presented here?

Hi, Trevor,

Maybe others will know for sure, but I can't find that that gun was produced by Colt. A number of outfits have bought Colt guns and then had them engraved for sale to various groups or to commemorate various events. These guns cost a lot of money when new, but are now less valuable than similar guns actually put out by Colt.

The trouble with law enforcement agency guns, like the S&W limited edition guns produced for dozens of police departments, is that they don't have a lot of interest outside that agency. They were usually bought as a package by a police benevolent association or something like that, and sold to the agency members, with proceeds going to the association.

Similar guns known to be all Colt are going around $1000-1200, so I would say the price sounds a bit high.

I can't imagine anyone worrying about the badge, but then I am not an FBI guy looking to butter up Janet in her last days in office.

Jim

Back