Colt Cowboy Revolver

Uncle Miltie

Inactive
Today I read several archived threads concerning the Colt Cowboy revolver (most of them negative), and after running over 1,000 rounds (handloads) through the one I bought new in 1999, thought I'd offer up my opinion:

For the price I paid ($475) in '99, the Ubertis and Vaqueros were certainly a bit cheaper. I did not expect the Cowboy to be as finely finished as a new SAA, but at almost $800 cheaper, it seemed like a good value. It has fake case colors, like the Vaquero which are a little fragile, but overall the gun has a pleasing appearance.

I ordered a Cowboy from my dealer as soon as I heard of them, and the first one I ever laid eyes on was mine.

The action of the revolver I received was MUCH better than any recently-made SAA I have used or their clones, and better than the Vaqueros I had tried. I began shooting it with 250 gr lead bullets, and can say it shoots it is more accurately than any other SA wheelgun I have ever used. I am a bullseye shooter, and care not one whit for speedily clanking large steel targets: if it cuts the 10 ring, that's what makes me happy, and my Cowboy does a fine job of it. It has never broken a part either.

Sure, the trigger pull could be lighter, and I'll fix that someday, but as is it shoots with excellent accuracy, and can more than hold its own out there with anything else at the target.

Regards,

Miltie.

yeah, it sounds like a nice gun. I prefer the Beretta stampede though. they made a great gun. a lot smoother action and better finish. the vaquero ive never cared for because of its 10% larger frame. you should try the stampede out next.

I bought a ruger single six a while back and it shoots good too. i like it a lot better than the vaquero too just because of the smaller proportions. I dont shoot very well with it though, any tips?

After seeing how Beretta handled the Sako blow up problem [see tread in rifle section] that would turn me off Uberti !!!

Back