Colt Cowboy Questions ?

Derringer

I recently bought a colt cowboy. Since I havn't had a chance to get to the range anyone have any experience on how they shoot. I have several rugers but this is my first colt due to the price tag $$$. Also does anyone know what other grips are available and where to get them this one came with the black plastic grips. Anyone know how strong they are i have heard different opinions.

Colt Cowboy

I bought a Colt Cowboy last year. What calibre is you gun? I load (.45 Colt) a somewhat stout load with no problems. Shoots good out of my Winchester also. ;)

Are you shooting smokeless rounds or do you intend to go on to the darkside?

.45 Colt = 250gr cast bullet w/ 35gr FFG :D

Last edited:
Finally got to the range

Well after 100 rounds i decided to call it a night. My feelings on the colt cowboy. Didn't like the plastic grip for the money you should get better. Accuracy wasn't any better than my vaquero with shorter barrel. Soooo today i sold my colt for another vaquero. Love the new sheriff's model with birdhead grips hard to find but now i have 2 in stainless. Talked to a dealer and he said several colt cowboys were returned with problems. Maybe colt should get iso for revolvers like they did with rifles. Not to knock colt but i'm not a fan !!!!! :o

Bought one of those birds head myself. Great looking gun, I will be going to the range this Saturday. Good luck with yours.

Ruger357

I just loaded a new batch of 8.4 gr unique with 250 gr hardcast lead. Depending on the book you look at its a mild load and should shoot good

Can't wait to test it out !!!!

Hope to hit the range this week.

P.S. Let me know what load works best for you

Derringer
I do not reload , what I shot was hornaday 255 grain cowboy loads. I plan to shoot cci jhp rounds next. Did I tell you I love that gun.:D

ruger357

Did i mention i have 2 Bird's Head in SS. Liked the finish better than the blue and easier to clean. I love the grip it smooth fits my hand great and helps with recoil a bit.

P.S. I also have the original sheriff's model in 3 /34 with white standard grips however i like the bh better

If you plan to shoot a lot of .45lc you may want to think about reloading. A box of factory costs approx $20.00 (lead box of 50) and local reloads are about $12.00 if you return the brass but i can reload them for about $4.00 once i have the brass. You will need to spent the $$$ for the equipment however; reloading will pay for itself in notime. Another bonus is that you can play with the loads until you find one that shoots the best.

Last edited:
Derringer
I do not plan on shooting the gun so much were I would need to spend the cash on reloading tools. I also bought the ss model. Living in NH you must have a nice back yard to shoot. Check out letts web sight on their new products listing. They have some nice grips for the bh.

ruger357

I live in the city however i belong to an indoor range. I just got the lett catalog nice grips but they really want a lot for the micarta
i guess it is hard to work with.

I only shoot 45lc and a few .38s

Happy shooting !!!!!

Back