Colt Cowboy? Keep or trade?

Brian Newbill

I have a Colt Cowboy that I purchased over a year ago. (Long before I heard about this forum) I had not shot it until a couple of weeks ago. I shot it one handed from the 25 yard line using Remington 225 gr semi-wadcutters. All of my shots were within 4 inches of each other 3 of which were touching. I was very impressed. Especially since I have never fired a single action revolver in 45LC before and I really didn't think those tiny little sights would work at all. I had no failures to fire, no hang ups, no cylinder binding. I fired a little less than 50 rds and all were around the same results. Then I read on some posts that the Colt Cowboy is a POS. Any opinions or first hand knowledge? Keep or trade? Thanks for the information.

From your description the Cowboy sounds like a good gun. So I guess my general opinion would be to go with your personal experience and keep the Cowboy, at least until further experience proves different, if ever. I've traded away a couple of guns--including a Colt revolver--that I'd heard or read were poor quality, but found out later that I'd gotten some bad info. Needless to say, I've been kicking myself for getting rid of them ever since.

HTH.

I also bought one about a year ago, but don'y have much experience with it. I was not initially impressed with my accuracy, but it was not done under very scientific conditions (I usually check reliability first, then experiment for accuracy).

They sure are pretty though. I guess it depends on what you want it for. If you want to keep a representative of the "Cowboy" breed (single-action hogleg) in your battery, it sounds like this particular one is a keeper.

It is accurate, reliable, good looking, and you already own it. Keep it. Listen to other peoples opinions (even this one:D ) but don't let them decide for you. You will eventually run into somebody who tells you how awful your gun is and then offers to take it off your hands cheap!

Back