Colt commando .38 +p ok?

smleno1mkIII

It’s based on the colt official police which the python was modeled after and the original colt .357 so I would think it would be fine but I want other opinions before I go for it.

I had an official police. The research I found said it was to compete against the smith models that could take the heavier 38/44 loads. So I did shoot some limited .38 +P though mine.

I think you are right, it is strong enough for .38 +P and I don't know if it is going to beat up the action any worse, no matter how much we read about those delicate Colts.

The Colt commando revolver was produced during WWII they were made for the military to issue mp’s, plant guards, aircrews,ammo dump guards,and the like they only made about 50,000 of them, they were parkerized simplified Colt I frame official police models with no checkering,smooth triggers, the python was based on the I frame. It is all steel weighing 10 oz more than a police positive.

Standard .38 Special will do everything you need-if you do your part.
VERY good advice...parts and smiths with the knowledge to use them correctly are increasingly hard to find. Another plus is that with standard velocity/weight ammunition, the gun should shoot to the sights.

Sound advice...Rod

Isn't likely to be. There was no such thing as + P in 1942. It wouldn't have been a consideration. The .38 Special was considered good enough for personal defence then.
Current SAAMI spec for .38 +P is 18,500 PSI vs the 17,000 PSI for regular .38 Spec.
Odd they thought the .38/200 was a different cartridge. It's nothing more than a .38 S&W using a cast 200 grain bullet. The Brits were trying to get more power out of the .38 S&W by increasing the bullet weight.

From Wikepedia and other sources:
Colt Official Police - Wikipediaen.wikipedia.org › wiki › Colt_Official_Police
The Colt Official Police is a medium frame, double-action revolver with a six- round cylinder, ... intended for competitor Smith & Wesson's new large N-frame revolver, the .38-44, none of the comparable S&W revolvers could manage this feat.

Just type in Colt Official Police 38/44 and you will find a host of articles about it being able to shoot what is now considered .38 special +P.

One example:
Colt's Official Police Revolver - Shooting Timeswww.shootingtimes.com › editorial › handgun_reviews...
Unlike the Smith & Wesson M&P revolver, Colt claimed that the Official Police was strong enough to be used with the powerful .38-44 High Velocity load.

"The . 38-44 is a cartridge designation but also is a term for the revolver intended to use the new loading, which could reach 1,125 fps with a 158-grain bullet"

I always get a kick out of people talking poorly about the .38 Special like it's a BB from a Red Ryder airgun. In its hotter versions like mentioned in previous posts, (+P), its actually pretty impressive. To me anyhow. But then again, I like .38's!! :D
Should have kept my old Official Police.

If your gun is chambered for 38 Special the way it was originally loaded it will handle +P ammo just fine. +P is just a gimmick. It is hotter than the weak "38 Special" sold now that is no better than the 38 Long Colt it replaced. Original 38 Special was a step up from the 755fps Long Colt 38 loads. And the new +P ammo is pretty much just 38s loaded to the original specs the way 38 Special was meant to be loaded.

Here is an article by A poster here named Saxon Pig and he says it far better than I can.

http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2009/01/p-phenomenon-by-saxonpig.html

Here is a Google page showing real 38 Special ballistics. Notice how similar it is compared to +P 38 loads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Special

Back