Colt Combat Commander in 9mm.

G-Freeman

Mr. Nolden, This may be a dumb question, but an older co-worker recently showed me a pristine Colt Commander in 9mm. He said he bought it at an estate auction years ago. I have tried to get information on this gun at the Colt website and others with no success. Can you tell me how old the gun could possibly be? Was it a popular model? The gun was blued with walnut grips. Very light and compact.

Perhaps I can handle this one for Harley. Since you describe the gun as light, it sounds like the Colt Commander lightweight, which was made in 9mm from 1950 to 1976. There was also a 9mm Series 70 Lightweight Commander, made from 1970 to 1983. I think they discontinued the 9mm in Lightweight then and later Lightweight Commander models are all in .45, although there were later steel frame Commanders in 9mm.

The Commander Lightweight is a nice gun, much better made than some of the current crop of Model 1911 type pistols. Due to the alloy frame, though, it is not up to extended use with full loads.

Jim

A friend of mine has a Colt Combat Commander in 9mm. Its a really nice shooting gun. Get one if you have the chance, hold on to it if you already own it.

Back