Colt Cobra

cjw

Today at a local gun show I handled a NIB first issue Colt Cobra and have two questions for you guys.
1) The owner wanted $425 for it. Too much ?
2) As I said the gun did appear to be NIB, but it had a cylinder that was VERY difficult to push out when the latch was pulled. I have never had a gun that required this much effort before. Is this OK (stiff because it was never used for so long) or does this indicate a problem ?

Thanks for the help !

Don't know about your Cobra, but my Det Spl action opens very easily and smoothly. I am no gunsmith, but it sounds like a problem to me.

Also, you might try gunbroker to get a price check. I've used it to measure a deal or two myself. There's always a few Colts for sale.

Good luck.

I purchased a Colt Cobra .38 2" bbl a few months back for just over $300 at a gun show. This was less than many of the other Colt .38's without the shroud on the extractor.

Since I've bought it, I've noticed that mine is sleightly more difficult to open/close than a comparable Smith or Ruger, mainly due to the design of the catch I suppose. All in all, though, it's a great little revolver and since my wife liked it the best out of all the snubbies we looked at, the decision was pretty simple!

I do agree, though, that if it seems too difficult to open/close, then maybe it is a problem with the gun that you might not want to inherit.

Check Six.

some one was playing detective and was throwing open and or closed the cylinder.this is a sure way to bend the crain/cylinder.dont do like mike hammer.thats whats happened to this revo.dont buy at that price.

If the Cobra is a new in the box FIRST model, it could just be new gun-stiff and full of dryed lube. I've seen a number of the early aluminum Colt's that had "sticky" cylinder cranes out of the box, and if it's an "oldy" the factory lube has probably dryed into sticky "varnish".
I suspect a good clean and lube, and a break in period would fix the problem.

A way to tell if it's sprung would be to GENTLY close the cylinder. If the latch snaps into place, it's probably not damaged. If you have to push hard against the cylinder to get the latch to engage,
it may be bent.

I haven't seen to many like new, in the box guns with sprung cranes.

Back