Colt Cobra .38, When were they made? Opinions?

45automan

Hey guys are these hard to find? When were they built last? I have a freind who has one in very good shape,he is asking $350. Is this a fair price? Also were they made in an alloy,cause it was much lighter than my Detective Special is. Thanks for any help guys,45automan

The Colt Cobra is the Dick Special with an alloy frame. The first ones came out in 1950. In 1973, they got a shrouded ejector rod. AFAIK, they were discontinued in 1981, but Colt later came out with the limited edition Combat Cobra and the King Cobra in .357.

If the gun is the first issue (ejector rod not shrouded), and near 100%, the price would be fair. If the second issue, IMHO, $350 is too much unless the gun is 100% (new) condition.

Jim

Greeting's-

Be advised that Colt also made a 6-shot aluminum alloy framed revolver called the "Agent". It weighted in at
only 14 ozs; which is one ounce less than the "Cobra",
and 7 ounces less than the "Dick Special". These little
gems in pristine condition demand a premium price among
collector's. A few years back I purchased an Agent from
a dealer in North Carolina; complete with the original
box and all paperwork. The original selling price was
clearly marked on the box's end label. It sold for only
$89.00 to the original owner; boy! wish I could have gotten
it for that!!!:(:D:)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

I picked up a second generation Cobra with the shrouded ejector rod about six months ago. It is 98%, I paid about $175. A trip to the gunsmith for an action job cost another $75. The narrow trigger and stiff action made rapid DA firing "uncomfortable".
These little revolvers are light, easy to carry and conceal and will handle +P ammo. I carry mine quite often.
You don't state if this is going to be a carry gun or a collectible. As a collectible I can not advise but if you are thinking of it as a carry piece it's not a bad choice.

The "second generation" Cobras are among the best of the .38 snubbies IMO. They are only slightly thicker than a J-frame S&W, and the butt may even be a little shorter (if you replace the factory stocks.) They are +P rated, have a really nice sight picture, decent trigger from the box (typically), and hold an extra round over the J-frames. The finishing on these guns are often excellent.

Back