Colt black powder

LBC

I am new to black powder guns and was wondering if anyone knows the difference, if any, between Colt's 2nd generation black powder revolvers (i.e. 1851 Navy) and the new "Signature" series? I keep hearing people say the 2nd gen. had better fit and finish, but the Signature series 1851 I recently saw was very nice. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, LBC.

My understanding is that both started out as Italian(Iberti?)parts. The 2nd gen. were marketed and put together by Colt in the late 70's while the current guns are put together by a company that pays Colt a royalty for the name.

IHMO unless you want the unique Colt markings they arn't worth the premium over a Uberti.

I have to agree. When you buy a Colt you're spending more for the name than you are anything else. Uberti makes really good reproduction guns and they cost a whole lot less.

The silver plated grip on my signaure series and deep bluing puts the "other" Italian guns I've seen to shame. Was it worth the extra $200... yeah it was.

Will an Uberti be worth $300 ever? Doubtful. Will a Colt be worth what you paid for it? Count on it.

I picked up a Colt Walker signature series that was supposed to be a factory second. Cost $300 new. I found a very small scratch on the trigger guard.

The blue and fit on this gun are drop dead gorgeous. I don't know about the others.

But I got me a real Colt Walker and it is a hoot so shoot!

A lot of the guns that Colt has been making for the signature series are poorly finished. My father has a Colt Walker signature that had allmost all the corners rounded over. The 2nd generation Colts that he has are finished much nicer however.

Back